People already fighting for first lifts @ Niseko!

Hmmmm, 5 million is a fair wage anywhere. Depends what you are required to do and the experience you are expected to have. Certainly not a laughable salary, especially if the job title is just a handle to get your foot in the door.

nope, I know that Error - I just think if theyre looking for a director and the pay is between 3.5-5 million, youre 100% in charge, must be bilingual, that thats a bit cheap is all. Most directors I know wouldnt consider anything in that range, for what theyre asking, was all I was trying to say.

5 million is a lot to lots of people..

prolly, depending on your age, experience, qualifications etc, sure. I dont doubt it. But, if someone was asking me to be senior director I wouldnt budge for anything under x-million/yr.

>Also - job specs and job titles are often made to sound far more important and grand than they in reality are.

If I was allowed to put that job description up, you would see what it was asking in detail...and it was a lot... smile

Anywhooo, today is Friday, wonder what all those cops are doing up in Hokkaido? Prolly finding out where more wild mary jane grows?? lol Think they smoke it? wink

Yes, well the days of high salaries in Japan are long gone. Being fluent in Japanese is rather meaningless in how it translates into salaries. In the company I work for, foreign engineers (and that means qualified tertiary-trained electrical and software engineers) with fluent Japanese are starting under 200K per month.

The avergae salary in Japan is settling around 3 million per year these days, and that is no exagerration. How people support families on that, I don't know.

With difficulty, for sure. And more so now as everything seems to be shooting up in price.

I remember when I first came though I was on about that and I still saved a fair bit. I did get lots of extras though and my aparto cost peanuts.

Originally Posted By: fukdane
With difficulty, for sure. And more so now as everything seems to be shooting up in price.

I remember when I first came though I was on about that and I still saved a fair bit. I did get lots of extras though and my aparto cost peanuts.

My hat goes off to you. Most of the people I know who graduated as engineers when straight into high-paying jobs. Our company doesn't have the free apartment thing, but I know some of the bigger companies do.
Originally Posted By: tripitaka
In the company I work for, foreign engineers (and that means qualified tertiary-trained electrical and software engineers) with fluent Japanese are starting under 200K per month.

Less than 2.5mil a year? Where are they qualified from, Khartoum Uni? What knuckle-headed western trained bilingual electrical engineer is going to work for less than US25k pa?
Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
Originally Posted By: tripitaka
In the company I work for, foreign engineers (and that means qualified tertiary-trained electrical and software engineers) with fluent Japanese are starting under 200K per month.

Less than 2.5mil a year? Where are they qualified from, Khartoum Uni? What knuckle-headed western trained bilingual electrical engineer is going to work for less than US25k pa?

They're not Westerners--Indian, Chinese and North African. Also, they graduated from Japanese universities on Mombusho scholarships. Japan's high-tech industry can't exist without them.

There is no Khartoum University in Japan. But the point remains, salaries, even in the tech industry, are low. The marketing job in Niseko is more of a lifestyle choice and it may come with some nice accommodation.

Where do you apply??

I think you will find that ski industry jobs pay a lot less than their equivilant in other businesses. It is simple supply and demand. For the same price I would soooooo much rather be a marketing director at Niseko than a marketing director for lion toothpaste. The two salaries will diverge until they find equilibrium. BTW the average household income is over 4.m yen in Japan, average salary is 3.6m.

Originally Posted By: Stuntcok
I think you will find that ski industry jobs pay a lot less than their equivilant in other businesses. It is simple supply and demand. For the same price I would soooooo much rather be a marketing director at Niseko than a marketing director for lion toothpaste. The two salaries will diverge until they find equilibrium. BTW the average household income is over 4.m yen in Japan, average salary is 3.6m.

The marketing director at Lion probably doesn't too badly. I know a few marketing guys at Unilever Japan. Boys get taken care of for a cushy gig.

I think you're right about the salaries too.