My local station has a good eki-ben (well, if you like cold pasta and 'hamburger').

But about accents, I find some accents rather annoying usually when they are so strong. It's just that I'm not used to it I suppose.

tson, did you forget to take your smart pill today? Or did you just not get my post?

If they want american pronunciation then they should find another teacher soubs. You should be teaching them your English pronunciation. I hate how some Japanese have american english as the defacto ben. Or, how some have british english as the defacto ben. Isnt english worldly?

8:30 in the morning it was, the system was still on standby... ashamed

Isn't it ironic that the Japanese cant talk a shit in English but they still find themselves fit to make comments about which accent is good or not.

matter of liking imho some prefer american accent some prefer oz accent, others prefer some other accents. i find scottish accent quite attractive.

what's america ben though..

it's a large country and people speak differently.

a few years ago, i got stuck in houston airport due to some mechanical problems, all the passengers were upset, long line up, many hours, and the lady sitting next to me, big (wide) african american lady, very angry, kept talking to me but it was very hard to understand her with her strong accent. i could understand my classmate from seatle back then but couldn't understand angry lady from houston. which is america ben?

ekiben's great btw, it's one of the best parts of my journey. wink

Originally Posted By: @tokyo
I really don't care.

Is this a dislike American English thing generally or don't like hearing non-native English speakers speak it?

No problem with Americans or their accents. She was obviously originally taught by an American/English teacher, and I speak differently. CB does a wicked South Carolina accent. I wish I could teach her that wink

I wonder how many N.Koreans actually speak English? I'd like to know more about that country as it has a (unfortunately) fascinating history. One minute relatives are together, the next minute they never see each other again. Just the opposite of the berlin wall...maybe things will change shifty

This might be best for another thread but how many people here teach immigrants from Korean and China? We have quite a few at our school and they sure as hell pick up English better than Japanese people do..

I have two Korean ladies, so that constitutes 67% of my adult classes at present. Their English seems much better than that of most of the Japanese mums I deal with, so I guess they had more/better at school.

It's also possible they are self-selecting. That is, they are in Japan because they come from the better end of the language ability range.

My comment about North Korea was re: that American guy they let out a couple of years back. His accent was a shocker.

Jenkins

North Korea is being propped up solely for China's chain jerking when a reply is needed to US unreasonableness.

I would like to see a united Korea and the hermit put up for his crimes.

Now back to the accent. In Seoul I met a few ladies who were students in LA. They had to return home 'cos of the '97 Asian financial crisis. Didn't stop them partying at the Grand Hyatt every night though.