Quote:
Jamaica's Usain Bolt ran a world record 9.72 seconds for the 100 metres in the Reebok grand prix meet at the Icahn Stadium in New York last night. The 21-year-old Bolt lowered the previous best held by compatriot Asafa Powell, who had ran 9.74secs on three separate occasions.

Incredibly, Bolt was running only his fifth 100m race and was competing in the lane next to America's 100m world champion Tyson Gay on a still night following thunderstorms earlier in the evening. Gay was second in a personal best of 9.85sec with Darvis 'Doc' Patton of the USA third in 10.07sec. The historic run sent a huge Jamaican contingent of fans wild with celebrations.

Takes me over 12

:(

the dude is the size of a basketball player (1.96m) Michael Jordan was 1.98m.

once he gets the long legs pumping he is awesome, his coach only relented and let him run a 100m race after he broke the Jamaican 200m record...5 races later he has the WR.

He used to be known as a 200-400 runner and here is he defying his size and slow starts by blowing everyone out of the water.

He could set records in 100-400m, yes even Michael Johnson's mythical 19.32 could possibly fall to this guy.

I often think, just how long is it until the record can never be broken, when we have run as fast as we will ever run. Surely there is a limit to human speed (even with performance enhancing drugs that all athletes seem to be on these days.)

Originally Posted By: elswit
I agree. 'his slow starts' made me chuckle there wink

thats the scary thing, he could be a lot faster! his starts arent great compared to other explosive 100m runners, but his finishing is second to none. He reminds of Carl Lewis: average starts but an amazing top gear at about 60m. If you could somehow combine the faster starter of them all - Ben Johnson with the fastest finisher - Bolt, you would have a low 9.6 something record, perhaps even a high 9.5.

I saw Bolt last year at the World champs in Osaka and I was pretty impressed with him, he was a raw 20 year old, but blessed with smoking fast `wheels`. I thought he had potential - but not this much!