• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

My work PC I only turn off on fridays.

Home PCs I turn off. I try not to use PC at home.

However there is a rumor that there might be a PC near my house that works overtime doing all-night torrent downloads though from time to time.

Depends, actually. When I'm home all day I generally switch the desktop on 8am, and off again 10pm(ish). The lappy is on when in use otherwise off, same with the work lappy. Either on, and connected to the work net, or off and packed away.

I have ratios to keep evilgrin, so often it's on all the time. Also I watch pretty much all my tv these days on the train (20hours a week I spend on the train - gotta amuse myself!) on my psp, so everyday I am converting video files to AVC video files (playable on the psp) that takes time, so I leave it going at night churning away encoding (currently I am watching '24' just started series one, I am up to 11am and cranking through 1-2 episodes a day chilling on the train)

If there is nothing for the the PC to do, I turn it off, though these days it always seems to be busy, like its owner! My p.c gets a thrashing, it certainly earns it's keep.

I turn the monitor off when I am not using it.

some of my computer geek friends say turning it on and off is bad for the computer and it's better just to leave it on overnight unless you won't be using it for a couple of days. I dunno but I've started leaving mine on overnight more often than not.

With a serious, and frequent, power fluctuation problem, I have a UPS, but still turn off the box when not in use overnight, or when I am away at work.

If I am at home, I will leave it on from wake-up time until bed-time. But, that is because I am in a position to monitor the UPS and shut down if there is a power problem.

If I had a power supply of my own (eg solar etc) I would likely leave it on, as the power fluctuations would have less effect.

I cannot understand why someone would suggest that switching on/off would cause a problem. Only possible effect would be interface boards moving in the slot (eventually not being in contact - happened to a couple of my clients recently) but very little else. The "loose board" is not a major problem, though - easy fix.

Switching electronics on causes an an initial surge of around 500 times the usual current. It affects all silicon based electronics as it literally wears the silicon connections within the transistors. It affects Integrated electronics more as the connections are usually smaller. In bigger integrated circuits attempts are made to manage this current inrush. Most of you will notice that your stereo doesn't switch its speakers on until many seconds after the power has been switched on. This is a direct result of attempts to manage the current inrush.

There are mechanical issues as well. Cold bearings wear considerably more than warm ones. So this affects fans and hard drives.

Who should worry about this? Not the average person. Silicon failures are rare, as are hard disk bearing failures. Fan bearings fail regularly, but fans are cheap to replace. Only true audiophiles need worry as the wearing affect (more likely components warming up) can slightly change the amplifiers characteristics.

and in case somebody can help:

I have checked all the sites that I know - Im trying to find an Audio Book of Dr. Seuss' The Butter Battle Book. I have found everything else of his, but cant find this...if you find it could you send me the link, pretty please!