Where are the downhill moutain bike courses in Japan?

I just watched a Japanese made MTB video. In it were DH MTB courses and dirt jump parks that were obviously in Japan. It seems that they weren't using lifts but shuttles and I was wondering where these courses are? Anyone here MTB? I am have come to the conclusion that skiing hasn't crippled me enough and I need to pummel my body in the summer as well.

When I was in Niseko a couple of summers back, there was a DH course on Hirafu - I think... I was heading over past Annupuri, so I just know it was somewhere over past Higashiyama. There were a bunch of vans that I passed that had piles of rental DH bikes on the roof racks, and also some regular vehicles with some pretty nice equipment on the roof - at least one Intense M1. IIRC, one of the Japan DH Cup races is held there.

Around the Goshiki-onsen area, I saw some XC racer-boy types in their matching jerseys and tighty shorts on their carbon-fiber 100%XTR hardtails coming down a powerline road.

My bike hasn't followed me to Japan yet, but maybe this August...

Aoikiko

fujimi

fuji pano

Even Happo is considering DH biking people bomb them with emails.

that said id have to buy a DH rig.

The dirt jumping was ishikawa I think.

Mate there are trails everywhere.

I prefer the free trail though. Your bike wont hold up mate to DH riding for very long. You would need a full rig with chain gaurds etc.

Iwatake used have a pretty decent downhill course, I went there in summer 2002 and that gondola wasnt running anymore so I rode up the course then bombed it down - more than 2 hours up, less than 10 mins down. In 2002 other than that there was nothing much at all in Hakuba. Dave at Evergreen gave me heads up on some local spots but nothing like they have now. Wanna try it out up there in the Hak!

SG, have you switched over the tires? Im gonna try a ride next weekend...been swimming no worries, running around school no problem, will try to get back in the saddle and engage. Lemme know when youre up for some rides. Met a cool bloke out here who rides both road/off road.

Yeah there are a ton of trails popping up. 47 will improve their stuff as well this season. Happo wont open this year but they are thinking about it. They own the old MTB stuff at Iwatake. As the sport grows resorts will be forced into doing stuff. If eiter of you can make it up for a ride please do try.

• SnowJapan Admin

Look, please do not post links to businesses.

We have already had a few enterprising companies posting links in this thread to their websites amongst others. It was fast becoming a link directory.

Links policy

As someone posted previously, a quick search on Google and other places (eg. friends brains) will bring up information if you look for it.

We are really busy at the moment and do not have the time or inclination to enter discussions about this. (For the small number of people who may need it spelling out, that means we won't be pleased to see sarcastic posts about policy either).

Just accept it.

Thank you.

EDIT... mtb is fun stuff.

In regards to what Okemo says below...

The way of the hip mtb world these day is all about 6-7 inch travel all mtn bikes.

No longer do you need a heavy beast, most are riding mid travel all around bikes.

So get an all around bike... bikes like the giant reign, Specialized SX....are really good stuff.

That way you hang on any ride an d have no excuses not to go riding.

I have a feeling i will be purchasing a freeride bike this summer. There is so much potential in Hakuba, I really wish it was more developed and that was more of a DH/freeride scene there. In college we had a good group we would actually spend days just digging and building not riding at all.

Full on DH takes serious commitment. The bikes are so heavy and they need so much maintenance. Having a DH set up in Japan would be nice, but there are not many places that I know of were its really neccessary.

A nice freeride set up can cost between 2-5K depending on how much travel your looking for and what kind of components you want.

Once you start doing bigger stuff and fall more into the DH/Freeride sort of riding rather than XC stuff. The bikes start getting super expensive. And even the high end stuff breaks and needs mantenance.

Yah, MTB does look like a money pit but I can assure you it is cheaper for me than staying in Tokyo and getting bored. I could by a whole new downhill setup for some of the ill-advised nights I have spent in "gentlemen's clubs".