Quote:
Almost eight in ten people do not have the basic cooking skills to roast a chicken or even boil an egg, shocking figures have revealed.

It showed 79% of adults could not boil an egg, while 83% do not know how long it took to roast a chicken while 9% thought it took less than 30 minutes to roast potatoes, the survey of 1,500 found.

More than a third thought British staple shepherd's pie is made with beef mince rather than lamb mince.

PS My shepherds pies ARE made with beef mince. So there.

chicken roasting: 20 mins a pound at 180C and add 20 mins for guessing wrong. Open oven to put in the stuffing you forgot about, and then again for the roast potatoes you thought would take 30 mins.

Originally Posted By: thursday.
chicken roasting: 20 mins a pound at 180C and add 20 mins for guessing wrong. Open oven to put in the stuffing you forgot about, and then again for the roast potatoes you thought would take 30 mins.

Obviously you don't know how to roast a chicken. lol.gif

I can boil an egg, last night I made chicken casserole, I make a mean chili con carne, Shepherd Pie is great with Miced Beef and can make a decent stew as well as various other delightful dishes

Originally Posted By: thursday.
I think so. Do you crack it into cold water and let it boil or hot water?

That's POACHED Egg - and the water is simmering when you drop the egg in, and it helps to have a touch of vinegar in the water. Brilliant on a Caesar Salad or in Eggs Benedict.

As for boiling - I am OK on the hard boiled, but less so on the soft boiled - there are so many variables in temperature of the egg to size of the egg etc.

I have great trouble getting the boiled consistency right for the shaped bento eggs - they have to be JUST hard boiled so they are flexible enough to form the shapes, and hard boiled enough that the yoke doesn't explode through the white as you squish it.

Roast Chicken - no problem - but why would you bother when a rotisserrie chook from the store is just so cheap and easy ... or Nando's - yummmmmmm!!! I'd rather spend the roasting energy on lamb or beef.

Eggs should not be boiled, they should be cooked in boiling water. with the shell still on, intact except for a needle hole into the airsac.

Shepherd's pie cannot be made with beef, it should be made with lamb, preferably minced leftover lamb roast. Beef mince makes it a cottage pie, by definition.

Originally Posted By: me jane
needle hole?

Absolutely! It is to allow the air trapped in there to leave without cracking the shell. If you don't do that, you run the risk (with commercial eggs, at any rate) of the shell cracking before the cooking is complete, resulting in strings of white through the water, and a very soggy egg. \:\(
 Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Roast Chicken - no problem - but why would you bother when a rotisserrie chook from the store is just so cheap and easy ... or Nando's - yummmmmmm!!! I'd rather spend the roasting energy on lamb or beef.

Because commercially cooked chicken is filthy - check the insides, the lungs and all sorts of gizzards are left over from being mechanically ripped out. YUCK!

A home baked chook, cleaned properly, with homemade stuffing is nothing like a shop purchased one. Tip: use an oven bag to save cleaning the oven and keep the moisture in.

As for boiling an egg: 3+ minutes = hard, under 3 = various degrees of soft.

it won't crack if you put it in cold or warm water and bring it to a boil. It'll crack if you get it out of the fridege and drop it in boiling water and bounce it off the bottom of the pan.

I like to stuff the roaster with sage and onion stuffing with lemon juice. Nice....