I have seen info from tour companies and the like, I just wanting some real responses from people on this forum who have done this as a bit of real backup!

How long did it take you to either drive or be driven (buses?) from Niseko to Furano?

We're thinking of doing both and thinking through the practicalities.

Think you might find there's no direct scheduled bus service from Niseko to Furano.

Your choices are:

Niseko -> Sapporo -> Furano

Niseko ->Shin Chitose Airport -> Furano

Chaffeured minivan Niseko -> Furano. Services available from Niseko info page.

Or let the ski operator take care of it.

Sapporo defo worth a visit though, so may stick one night in betwee N and F.

Hey, Thursday, you didn't attempt to answer what was asked at all!

I think I'll do the same:

If you're going to Niseko and you want to try other slopes, you should think of Rusutsu and Kiroro instead of Furano.

If you want to go to Furano then you should consider Tomamu and Sahoro which are nearby instead of Niseko.

If you like to spend long hours in a vehicle, then sure, by all means, go to Niseko and Furano.

Markie does make some good suggestions.

I wouldn't suggest Kiroro though. Really not that great a ski area, a couple of areas with fairly good off-piste and a nice peak out of the resort but this would be for well equipped people experienced in backcountry travel.

Rusutsu is a great area and easily accessed from Niseko.

Furano itself is not a huge ski area. You'd not really want to spend too long there. The off-piste is off limits. The town though and surrounding region is great and you're much more likely to get clear weather, if somewhat colder, than that in Niseko.

Asahidake is not really a ski resort, having somewhat limited accommodation options and only the one ropeway with absolutely no nightlife. The groomed runs (2 of them) are not great. It's a good area though for advanced off-piste enthusiasts.

If you're coming from the US, then you've got to be thinking of 14 days, 10 absolute minimum.

It's a bloody long way and hitting the ground running is hard. I've done the trip from NY to Sapporo and expecting to ski every day from day one is a little ambitious.

That being said I would forget Furano as GN suggested.

Come to the Niseko area to start, for a 'gentle, anglicised' introduction to Japan with everything pretty much set in place for you.

Once you've found your feet (week 1), then take day trips either from a Niseko base or on a 'road trip' to the nearby ski areas of Rusutsu, Moiwa, Chisenupuri, Kiroro, Sapporo Kokusai, Teine Highlands, Tomamu.

Doing some or all of this will give you a pretty good taste for this wonderful part of Japan, and I'm confident that this trip will be one you will remember for a very long time.

Originally Posted By: NancyU
I have seen info from tour companies and the like, I just wanting some real responses from people on this forum who have done this as a bit of real backup!

Tour companies can be really daft. I'd read this forum first, not as backup. Hope you come and have a great time \:\)
Spend lots of mone too. Good for the economy!

Ger, spending wonga in Hirafu may not necessary help the local ecconomy. Much of it would be taken offshore, which is why I intentionally try to eat at local places. Plus that's what I'm in Japan for.

• 3 months later...

Just logged in after a lengthy period away from the SJ world.

Thursday, where do you come up with something like that statement. All the restaurants are either owned by Japanese people or by foreigners who live here year round. The money stays in the resort and we (yes I am one of them) still offer our services over summer, well a lot of us do anyway, making a loss but trying to keep the resort going during the quiet times.

It is struggle for everyone here over summer except the development companies but when that dries out and they move ship, hopefully the resort will be self sustainable and allow more money to come in and stay in for the full 12 months.