1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

In the chat box soubs was just mentioning that tomorrow he has the "community clean the river day" and will be starting at 6am for that.

I don't take part in stuff like this - I never actually get invited that I know of. But I do actually like the idea of them. I suppose in the countryside it might be more part of what goes on.

Do you take part?

Yes when I can / am invited

I don't know of any

No way. I avoid

I found out I wasn't been invited and that was why a few neighbours weren't being too friendly? (How am I to know!) Anyway I did a community clean up last month and got on with a few more people. It was fairly fun actually (even though it was cleaning) and there was lots of sake at the end!

No sake this morning unfortunately. Lots of empty pet bottles and polystyrene. Lots of people taking part too.

In a small country town like this, the community is very stable and everyone knows everyone. People are kept informed about these activities, and absences are noted. Some might find the neighbourly scrutiny a little oppressive, but it is a small price to pay for a self-organising, self-policing society.

And the riverside is now free from rubbish thumbsup.gif

It lasted less than an hour. A few hundred people organised into groups all responsible for a section of the river got it done pdq.

Today was unusual in that it was a whole-town effort. In our local community (about 10 households), there is one local clean up per month, depending on weather. In the winter we don't clean, but the garbage station has to be kept clean of snow. That devolves to me for about 2 weeks every year.

You need to add: Im too busy to be able to take part.

They ask me to help clean up the gutters, along the river bank, etc, but I never can. Not that I want to, mind you. They always do it when I either have entrance exams or T&F. Oh well, I think those who have all that free time should do it as I certainly dont have much and dont wanna waste my time...

+1 and I took a three hour wander around and around a local oval in a fund-raiser for cancer research, the biennial (not sure of the right word, it happens every 2 years, anyhow) "Relay for Life" in our city.

There were thousands taking part, you walked as a team, people sponsored the team for the 24 hour walk. We did 3 hours, 1800 - 2100 and other members of the team did other times. It was a fun (if exhausting) time, caught up with a lot of people we knew, walking for other teams, and our team managed to raise $700. Dunno the final total, but it will ALL go towards research into cancer cures.

We help out at the smaller local level, too. Cleaning the community hall for a function, standing outside polling booths handing out "how to vote" cards, etc.

I've quite enjoyed taking part in a few things here. It's a good way for someone to transform from being a person who ignores you and walks the other way to being friendly neighbour, and for just that it is worth it.

• 3 months later...

Good local event this weekend. Well, it was last year anyway. Lots of dancing and friendliness.... even from the dudes who usually walk past you without acknowledging you at all. Would be good if that kind of friendliness spilled over into non-matsuri situations.

Have a good one. I'll be drunk!

I like the events here, though I live in a small village (near a city but far enough to be separate from it). It is a good change to get to know people and as someone above said people tend to get on so much better for that short time. Got something on tomorrow night I think, I'll be checking it out.

Last community even I did was I shaved my head for movember. I raised over $2000... I was a very ugly, ugly man for 3 months. Never again!!!

I use to do a lot when I was younger, always in on the clean-up australia day etc. But now not so much...

Alex