5 year visas for those proficient in Japanese.

Foreign residents proficient in Japanese to be allowed to stay longer

Quote:
Japan will give ‘‘favorable treatment’’ to foreign residents with a certain level of Japanese language proficiency by extending the maximum length of stay for their resident visas from the current three years to five years, Foreign Minister Masahiko Komura said Thursday.

good news for some of you, I have permanent residency myself so doesnt affect me.

Who is up for visa soon? going to try for a 5 year one?

I have heard its like the drivers licence test, i.e one minuscule error and you fail.

They check whether you have any outstanding debts i.e unpaid city tax, and if you have ever been in trouble with Police - it wouldn't surprise me at all if one speeding ticket or ticket for parking would be that one minuscule mark on your application, which would cause the guy with the stamp to say nah. The games we play.......

Naturally you need a stable income too.

I have always paid my city tax and have never been bothered by the cops, had a long term stable job at the time of application.

The only thing they could have got me on is unpaid NHK fee, but I guess even the immigration guy doesn't pay that one!

As Debito says, it more of a certificate of trustworthyness than anything else, it means you are now trusted on the same level as a Japanese citizen to do all things they can do (except vote) hence the fine tooth comb on your application, strike one and you're out.....

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
No that isnt the rule at all. I know people that got it after 5 to 7 years.

Id imagine thats if theyre married. I have heard loads of things too. I have tenure here and was denied this year (at year 9). They said I cant apply now cuz it hasnt been 10 years eventhough I showed them some of the examples of people getting them early. I think for somebody to get one earlier than 10 years, without being married, is very difficult. Though they did say with my job it shouldnt be a problem for me.

Has anybody here gotten PR before 10 years and ISNT married? prolly not.

I got PR in spite of two speeding tickets (114 in an 80 and 70 in a 50), an unpaid parking ticket, and one official warning for possession of stolen property, a bike I found on the gomi. It took me an extra year than "normal" to get a three-year spouse one before that though. Maybe because I'm self employed.

It's worth paying 5000 yen for a consultation with an Immigration lawyer to make sure you have everything necessary in order. I did that, I also paid him to translate my letter, he made it far better than I could have - he knew the best way to word it.

You also need to show at least a mill in the bank.

Debito is a foremost authority on these issues, he knows plenty of stuff about immigration, if anyone wants to find information about legal issues etc they should check out his website.

Not everyone like him and his abrasive style; but, nonetheless the guy knows his stuff.

http://www.debito.org/index.php

I see just now while looking at his site, he has just released a book for migrants to Japan.

handbooksemifinalcovertw2.jpg

I think I shall purchase one, might learn something useful!