• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• SnowJapan Moderator

We have this morning turned off the member ratings functionality.

In the near future we will be making a few changes to the forums and will at that time decide on whether to reintroduce the members ratings. From recent comments it seems that many people aren't keen on them anyway, so here's a poll.

What do you think?

Thanks

Agree with Kev. Certainly will not miss them if they disappear ... haven't noticed them so far.

• SnowJapan Moderator

Well yes that is one of the reasons why we took them down, as well as a few people of late saying they don't like them. The poll seems to bear that out.

Quote:
you should do something about the malicious degrading of member rating

There's really not much we can do about that unfortunately. Members can vote for anyone else once.

Unfortunately, when you even get established 'popular' members going round 'malicious degrading' other peoples member ratings - which has been the case - I don't suppose there is much hope is there.

• SnowJapan Moderator

Right now, it is a universal "on/off", so unfortunately we can't turn it off just for some people.

And anyhow, can you imagine the outrage and uproar caused if we do something like that to restrict the rights of one of these 'established popular members'?

Even if they are being idiots in the anonymity of background stuff that you don't all see?

;\)

The only one I see getting angry about this, is the one having his rating rights deprived.

I don't think that any other member will be distressed, better say other members might be pleased about it.

• SnowJapan Moderator

tsondaboy, with respect, that just shows how we have to deal with a lot more than everyone on here know or even imagines.

The slightest action we take sometimes brings with it the baggage of a lot of complaints, howls of innocence, and then spreading untruths about what we have done. It is extremely annoying.

I can understand that, I have witnessed many times you guys being under fire.

Still, I don't think the middle ages approach "finger hurts, we amputate it" works in you best interest, in the long term you might end up with no fingers.

• SnowJapan Moderator

tsondaboy, that is not what we are doing. We took down the ratings for a variety of reasons, not just one. We are currently preparing for some fairly big updates to the forums and the ratings may well be back. That is why I started the poll - to see if people do want them back or not.

Please don't get me wrong with my comments above. Doing some stuff might give us aggro from a few people, but we are certainly not afraid to do it. We'll be keeping on doing things the way we feel is the best - regardless of what a few outspoken people may think and say.

\:\)

• SnowJapan Admin

I would just like to add to what SJ#4 said.

Some people seem to think that it's just fine to lash out the insults at us - in public, on our website - when they disagree with something that we do simply to uphold our forum guidelines, as if we have committed some awful crime.

Well, it isn't.

(Interestingly, it is just a small number of people and often actually the same ones).

Criticism and comments are fine, and we welcome people contacting us with those - send us an email/PM. We encourage comments, it is good to know what people are thinking. But causing a fuss online that we have to deal with in public, using up a lot of our time, is not.

We have laid out our guidelines fairly clearly and in as much detail as we are going to do so in public here.

On the subject of member ratings - we'll decide whether to reintroduce those as we make the updates to the forums soon. Looking at the poll in this thread though, there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming demand for them!

what were they? Were they stars given by members to OTHER members? Or were they scores for topics and threads? I thought it was the latter, either way I didn't really pay much attention to them.

I voted 'bring em back'. Not a big deal either way, but I thought it was kind of interesting to see how the voting went. I lost a star or two after some Niseko/Hakuba banter and then saying that Colorado had no glaciers to speak of. shifty.gif ;\)

To me it seemed that almost everyone had 4 or 5 stars except 1 or 2 like O11, but they were usually a blast to read. So to me the number of stars doesn't say anything. It is more based on the topic and handle name whether I read it or not.

I remember saying slightly negative about Hakuba that the Hakuba gang obviously didn't like because 1 hour later I was down from 4 to 3 with a new 3 votes. Sensitive bunch. lol.gif

I found that very amusing.

Some people were on 2 simply because they were basically an a*$%#hole.

No need to bring them back, especially if idiots were messing around with it.

Gambatte, looking forward to the updates.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
I remember saying slightly negative about Hakuba that the Hakuba gang obviously didn't like because 1 hour later I was down from 4 to 3 with a new 3 votes. Sensitive bunch. lol.gif

Not being part of the clique definitely costs votes.

Quote:

That`s me

Quote:
No need to bring them back, especially if idiots were messing around with it.

Gambatte, looking forward to the updates.

This is a social, not a political forum. Votes don`t belong here.
 Originally Posted By: soubriquet

Quote:

That`s me

lol.gif You're not an asshole, Soub. ;\)