Hi All,

I'm looking to spend part of next winter touring some of Japan's ski resorts, and I wanted to see what everyone thought were the best places to check out.

I've spent some time in Japan previously, but I mainly went to the small, less well known ski resorts (which were great, but limited).

What I'm looking for is a list of the 25 absolute best places to visit, in your opinion. I know there are a hell of a lot of resorts in Japan, and I know even the small ones can be great, but thinking in terms of someone who hasn't got much time, which would you consider to be the cream of the crop - in terms of powder, size, and facillities?

cheers

If you try, and I have, you can vote multiple times, which defeats the purpose IMHO. That needs to be fixed SJ#1-4 & forums. I'd be a month salary that some people have voted multiple times for their "favorite" resort. I voted twice on some random resort and voted the same score as to not affect its "ranking"

• SnowJapan Admin

We actually have a tracking system which is able to make adjustments, taking into account people doing multiple votes (ie. they get deleted).

It is never going to be 'perfect' and it would be practically impossible to stop people who really were out to make a big impact on the numbers just by trying to make it one person/one vote. If we changed it to be only-members / once-only, two things would more than likely happen:

1) people who really wanted to go in and submit multiple votes would just create different accounts

and

2) there would probably be many fewer votes.

When we created this new section we did discuss this issue and eventually decided that in the long run it would be best to not restrict voting just to signed up members and encourage lots of voting.

Happily, looking at the statistics we have from the admin backend here it seems that most people do not actually try to abuse the system. I suspect that most people simply do not have the time or inclination to spend a lot of time trying to beat the system and when they do it will get flagged and we make adjustments as necessary.

With the open vote and our tracking system, I think that most of any silliness doesn't get to affect things that much at all (and will indeed decrease further as time goes on and more votes are made).

Originally Posted By: SJ#4
It gets worked out by people voting for resorts. It is that simple.

Did you vote for the resorts you have been to wattiewatson?

Hi SJ#4,

I really meant that i agree with the tenor of the previous posts. That, while useful, the ranking system is not a gospel. Ranking systems are subjective and i think SJ system is fine.

I chose not to vote because, while i dont mind sharing with people where i go, i dont do it over the internet. I met some great people from SJ on the hill or in bars this season, its just im not going to encourage all of them to thrash my spots.

Cheers

Matt
  • 3 weeks later...

what I meant was, if you are the only one to vote for XYZ resort and it's all 100, then it will be ranked 1st.

Maybe if the entry requirement was 10 votes from unique IPs before it gets a ranking, then it would be more representative

• SnowJapan Admin

If there is one vote and it's all 100, we'll probably delete it.

Like I said before, we do monitor what goes on and try to even out any things that stand out. You can as gg says sort by different criteria and I think most people would notice the one vote and make their own conclusions for that.

The idea and the hope is that as time progresses and more votes are cast then issues such as this will become less and less.

friend

I need to do lots more reading before it really means anything to me. Looks like a lot of Japanese names right now! lol

I'll need to come back to here later I think.