Hi all,

I'll be traveling to Osaka/Tokyo at the end of Oct this year for the first time and was wondering if any of you could tell me of any possible ski resorts opening at the end of Oct or beginning of Nov? I have noticed on this website in the 'General Info - The Season' section that it does mention the possibility, if snow conditions allow.

All Australian travel agents that I have inquired with advises late Nov/Dec.

Hope you can help me..

If I can recall well, the last time that the resorts near Tokyo were able to open from early November was 5 seasons ago. Usually they open late November and only 1-2 of the top lifts. It takes till mid December till you see all lifts open and till late December till you get some decent cover.

thanks for all your replies..

since gunma and shizuoka is close to tokyo compared to hiroshima - can this trip be taken in 1 day or do we have to stay overnight?

also is it possible for you guys to provide me with website links for booking?!

artificial snow is okay, my girlfriend and i are only beginners and the boys will probably go off snowboarding anyways.. at least the artificial snow will be more realistic than the ice in the freezer as that's the closest i've come to it!!

Bubz,

I know it is controversial - and certainly not as good as the "real thing", but if you find that there is no tangible snow on the ground when you want to go why not check out one of the many indoor snow facilities in Japan. I have never been to one - so I can not recommend or endorse - but I googled and came up with this website that lists the locations of domes around the world, and the type of "snow" they use.

Indoor Snow Venues Worldwide

You sound like this will be your first look at snow - and if you can get a resort open at that time - you are going to love it. But if there are none up and running within coooee of you at the time....a dome is better than the ice in the freezer...better something than nothing, eh?

Good Luck!

• 4 months later...

Bubz, we all wish we knew - particularly if it's going to be an early start (if it's going to be a snow drought or a late start, I don't want to know).

Another option might be the slope at the Karuizawa Prince Hotel - just an hour by shinkansen from Tokyo. That usually opens early / mid November with artificial snow, and would feel a bit like 'real' skiing. Not a bad place if you want to pick up a discounted Coach bag on your way back to the station, as well...

tsonda - you're quite right, I was only making a theoretical suggestion to illustrate my point. As far as I know they simply won't allow helicopters to operate in any national park areas, so that knocks out Daisetsuzan and most of the high peaks in Honshu as well.

Personally I'm impressed that someone is keen enough to want to go before natural snow cover's accessible. If you are a beginner then it's good to be that enthusiastic. It's easy enough for us residents just to wait, but if the Karuizawa Prince was my only chance to ski during the season in Japan, I'd still definitely take it...

Originally Posted By: MikePow
I'm calling for Halloween turns on Hokkaido. I can feel it in the bones smile

clap Great news that! Keep us posted, Mike. The weather forecast is calling a six degree drop from Tuesday onwards. Mid 20's down to high teens and staying there. It's a start.