TR: Mentawai Islands, Indonesia

Nah, in an office 5 mins away!, I just make the time in the morning.

At times like today when the tides are wrong it's killer when you know that just as work is starting at 9ish the waves are going to be improving... I need a stealth car for sickies!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Crew

I've been pretty quiet on the forums lately - just been busy busy busy looking after the resort, surf guiding and taking photos...

From the looks of things it seems like Oz is pumping at the moment!

The past week of waves has been pretty rank up here - we've had a week of howling NW winds and storms. Surf options have been very limited for much of the last week - up here there's only been one protected spot, and a couple of hours south there's another spot that's been copping the wind. Hence, it's been busy - 9 or so charter boats at each spot. Crazy eh?

A new swell kicked in a few days ago and the surf was pumping, but due to the strong winds and lack of protected waves, it's been crowded like I've never seen here in the past two and a half years. Bankvaults was all time the other afternoon, but with 35 snarling Aussies and Brazzos screaming, yelling and dropping in on each other, I could barely get a wave. I've never seen so much hassling or dropping in before. Oh well, fingers crossed it passes.

The few weeks before that though... wow. The waves were all time. 4-6ft for two weeks straight, beautiful light winds, sunny skies all day. Barrels. Barrels Barrels. Because the waves were so good everyone was super mellow in the water, lots of good waves and good vibes.

I've got just under a month up here and then it'll be time to move onto to something sifferent for a bit. Not sure what yet...?

Been meaning to post some pics but haven't been uploading too many lately. Probably the best shots are a couple of our favourites that we've been uploading to a surf website called Magic Seaweed.

They've got a new service that we've been trying to sell some prints through. Have had a bit of joy with that. The amount of traffic they get is ridiculous too - one of our shots has had over 22,000 views, and another one snuck into the Top 10 shots of the month.

Anyway, check the shots below.

Cheers

Spook

167920.jpg

166386.jpg

161536.jpg

161823.jpg

164993.jpg

161535.jpg

Good onya Spook. thumbsup

I go on Friday to Sumatra. Magic Seaweed and Coastal Watch both say a new 8-10 foot swell is on the way. I'm pumped.

Froze my arse off yesterday morning out for the early. I was sitting out the back looking in at the grey gloomy cold sand dunes and I swear I could almost visualize palm trees and coconuts. lol

Depressing.. My bro just left for a 24 day trip on Navi star.. Should be in your parts spook soon (& Beyond). Our mega swell passed us by , we could see it out to sea, but it didn't want to come in!

We did have some pretty good waves last week though, nice to get the odd bazz B4 work!

Have a good trip Mantas..

Hey Indo. saw the Navistar at Birgerworld today. Waves were a bit sloppy, but still fun. It was freaking busy though..

That boat has a great rep. I'll sure your bro will score hard

Classic! Might have to do a trip next year for the bro's pre wedding send off.

Navistar is a SA owned boat and all the boys on it are from SA so even if it is sroppy, I am sure the lads are enjoying wetsuit free sessions!

Originally Posted By: Indo

Have a good trip Mantas..

Cheers mate.
The forecast is still looking good, so hopefully I'll have something to brag about when I get back.
A couple of mates of mine just got back from a Maldives boat trip. Normally known for it''s smallish waves, they scored smoking 6 foot plus. One of them got bounced pretty hard on the reef. I couldn't believe how much his board was trashed as well.
Spook, how do you do 3 seasons without getting trashed on the reef?

What boat did they hit up?

I know crew that just got back too and had fun - excellent waves. Only complaint was that the boat didn't travel overnight which is a no go!

Reefs, In my Indo stints I rarely came to grief on the reef. I noticed that Carnage usually happened on the smaller days when the wave is right on top of the reef, but I guess those super crazy low tide race tracks, deserts etc bazzas are just too good to refuse sometimes!

Originally Posted By: Indo
. I noticed that Carnage usually happened on the smaller days

Definately agree. I've never had a serious touch up on a reef. Lakey Peak was the worst. A bit of bark off, nothing serious.

Not sure of the name of the boat. They spent the first week around the Male atolls then chugged down to the central atolls for the second week.

Where did you hit @ Lakeys? I know the inside on the right is super hollow and on Biiiig days the left at low tide closes and is suicidal! Pipe is the worst eh! Razor sharp.

My wife got sucked over the falls onto her knee by a rouge 5-6ft wave @ the peak and gouged her knee pretty badly.

When are you jetting? no waves here!

Fly out Friday morn.

i got caught inside at the peak on a largish day. I can remember the water draining off the reef and i was literally looking for a crack to hide my body in. That one wave snapped my board and legrope.

How do I go 3 season without being trashed on the reef? I don't!

Last year got bounced really hard at a fast shallow right. Lost a heap of bark and could barely walk for a week. A few months later, I copped a board in the head and almost lost an eye... This year I've been lucky so far. Just a few scrapes and bumps. Nothing too serious.

I guess cos I'm up here for a long stint I get selective about conditions and waves. I like big waves, but on usually only on the right winds and tides. Often you'll see guys surfing waves that aren't quite right because this may be their only chance to surf it.

New swell is pumping into the area at the moment. Crowds are ubeleivable though. Proper crowded. Oh well. We were part of the problem in opening up a small resort. In the last year a bunch of other places have sprung up and it's suddenly it's not somewhere I want to be for much longer. The off-season is always a good bet up here for quiet surfs still.

Got 3 weeks left here. Just gonna enjoy it.

So they are rubbing limes into the wounds now and using a scrubbing brush too? Sheeet! Something to look forward to.

Three seasons as a Mentawai surf guide is going to look mighty impressive on your resume Spook.

Maybe not to a prospective employer though. lol

Ahhhh, bugger it. Just broke my favourite board this morning. I loved that 6'3".

Pulled into a solid one. 4ft plus. The tube collapsed on me, I didn't get that worked... and I now have a 3'1" and a 3'2". Awesome.

It was a long time coming, but I'm surprised it snapped. The wipeout didn't feel too heavy.

Oh well. Gonna dig a beaten up old board from under the house for the last few weeks up here.

Doh, always a bummer, but always great to a new board! Not that it's going to help you over the next few weeks.. but you could have some fun experimenting..

Me I have a full on infection that's taken over my right leg below the knee to my socks from a cut I scored at the point.. no surf for weeks I think..

Ahh, that blows about the leg infection. Just nail some hardcore antibiotics and get back out there...

I'm actually pretty devo'd about my board. I really liked that one. Thought it'd be hanging on the wall in years to come and I could reminisce about Indo.... ha!

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmm lime. And I used to think tats hurt. Biting the tea towel does help.

As you guys would know Lakeys is great fun at 4 ft, at 6ft low tide its a different beast. Sitting up in Aman one afternoon having a beer after a long session on a 6ft day and saw a guy try and duck dive mid face on a larger set. Was one of the worse slams I have seen. We saw him get sucked right back head 1st about two feet back from the edge of the lip and hit the reef. We all thought he was dead. Luckily its just rock not live coral and he escaped shaken but not scarred.

That one set every day that randomly appears in Indo and is at least 2ft bigger then the other sneaker sets always gets me paddling fast smile

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete

That one set every day that randomly appears in Indo and is at least 2ft bigger then the other sneaker sets always gets me paddling fast smile

Me too!

Just got back from Krui this morning. Had a great trip. Scored some nice waves. It was pretty solid for a couple of days. Looks like you got a bit of it up there too Spook.

Sick Mantas - what waves did you surf? Surf has been pumping up here for the past few weeks.

We actually leave in a couple of days. Pretty sad to move on, but excited about doing something new too

We surfed Ujung Bocur, which was the long left out the front of camp. Another left called Way Jumbu (sometimes called Sumatran pipe) and a a beach break. There's also waves up the coast, a right hander called Jenny's, we surfed that as well one day.

Which part of Indo are you going to?