TR: Mentawai Islands, Indonesia

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nh, didn't get any vid mantas. a few guests had some nice tubes of mine on their video cameras but i never got round to nabbing it off them. no big deal as it wasn't all time footage. i got gazillions of pics. that'll do.

since we've been back we've been hooking into all the western food that we've missed. lots of ham, cheese, nice crisp beers and wine. mmmm, wine.

the surf is flat. not even bothering about it. starting to do a bit of training now for japan. hopefully it starts puking on honshu this week

• 3 weeks later...

hey fellas. just got back to perth after a week on the east coast. you guys complain about the surf being sloppy over there, but at least there's waves! and it didn't seem that crowded to me.

the surf in perth is pretty much non-existent. whenever there is swell, it's just straighthanders... and don't even get me started on the crowds! even down south can get retarded crowded. i saw a ton of fun waves in the sydney region and up the coast with barely anyone surfing em...

That young fella has style, and with the right foot forward too. Go Grommy

Spook, I told ya, spoilt for life.

WA must have changed a bit since I spent time there. Your right though, some parts of the East coast have very low crowds at times . I've had some epic mid week, mid winter surfs completly solo up that part of the coast where you went.

Originally Posted By: Indo
Mantas, I was suprised when he went Goofy because all the time in Japan he was boarding natural! May as well get em switching young!

The whole goofy/ Natural thing with kids intrigues me. You put a kid on a surf board or snow board for the first time and they are never sure which way to stand even though it's pre-destined, they just don't know at that point.
The little kid across the road rides goofy on lefts and natural on rights. i told him that one day he would have to make up his mind which way he was gunna stand.
He said "why"

havent seen it yet. been looking for a torrent cos i am a bad man. plus a mate saw it and reckons it wasn't anything special. like an hour of footage about rob being all philosophical (yawn...) and then 30 mins of footage at the end which is apparently rad to the max

i want to see it for myself and come to my own conclusions. he has the sickest style and if the movie is a bit arty and goes on a bit, that;s not oo bad either, as long as it isn't a pile of wank.

i'm looking forward to the new taylor steele flick - i think it's called castles in the clouds maybe? it's the sequel to sipping jetstreams, so should be unreal. saw some pics of rasta surfing a boolshit right in india and it got me all amped up

Spook, you can get it at PB.

I was given it by a mate, they all believed the whole thing that he really is like that!

I have stayed at all those spots and one especially I would love to go back to.. gotta scam some me time outta this place!

yeah, rob being all soulful by himself in the jungle.... with 2 stills camera guys and two video guys lurking around. hmmmm. still, i like the fact they are trying to do something differen.t and his surfing is off the hook.

he can jump on a shortboard and surf hi-performance, jump on a fish and draw beautiful critical lines, and then jump on something wird and tear it to bits too

Mantas, a little crept in yesterday am only 2-3 ft. I saw Merewether on the news last night and was frothing for the early. This morning, a perfect morning except the swell hasn't come to the party! 2-3ft.. arghhhhhhh.