TR: Mentawai Islands, Indonesia

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep. still here. still getting great waves.

things have slowed down the past week swell wise, but there's still plenty of fun shoulder-head high waves around. now that the swell has dropped we've been able to explore some other areas and sections of reef - we've found 4 new spots in the past month, all of them worthy.

and i got a nice racy little wave tonight. only shoulder high but i tucked up into it for a little 4 second shack. sweeeeeeeet!

any of you guys on facebook? we have a page which we update regularly with photos. PM me and i'll send you the link if you're interested

oh yeah, and some lobster fishermen swung by this arvo and dropped off some big fat crays that they couldn't sell - 25 of them! epic dinner tonight.

last night we caught some barracuda and spanish mackerel, so we've been eating well

Thanks for the PM Spook, sick photos. Sounds like the whole venture is going well. It must be very satisfying to carve something out of the jungle like that. When it becomes a world famous place, you can tell your kids that you built it from the ground up.

I'd like to see some of the fish photos, Spanish Mackeral is one of my favorite fish, we do occasionaly get them here during May. Do you eat the Barracuda and GT's? I thought they would have ciguatera.

I'm tempted to go there just for the fish. I could just imagine what it's like.

• 7 months later...

ok ok, sorry for being slack with posting lately. it's been a very fun and exciting past few months out here on the island. the waves have been pumped, we're fully booked til the end of the year and spookette an my little photography business is doing ok, so we've been pretty much run off our feet.

we've been doing regular suf reports for an australia surf forecasting site all year, and they run a couple of our shots each week. i'll post some of the better ones from this year below, and try and update this thread each week with a few more

March

570_Anemptybomb_200933112536.jpg

570_Afineexample_200933112557.jpg

yep bankvaults is sikola. got an epic epic pit last week. one of my best ever. it was raining though, so no pics....

is this the pic you're talking bout indo?

ChicohopinghisrailholdsSoliddroponFriday

• 4 weeks later...

Spook

Sick waves sounds like a great gig

Nevermade it to Mentawis just Nias early 90's and the annual pilgrimage to Lembongan,Lombok & Bali.

Off to Bali Sep 1st family trip but will get out to Airports and Kuta nothing like your getting but beats oz winter.

Thanks for the stoke

Seemore

glad you like the pics seemore... cheers!

right now it is rainy, windy, stormy and generally pus. got the crap belted out of us in the boat this morning and yesterday driving around trying to find some surf for the guests. we didn't. anyway, there is suppossed to be a massive massive swell running at the moment, but it's yet to hit. crowds are also out of control. fingers crossed it all works out.

anyway, i've been slack linking pics to this page. attached below are some from the last few weeks. keen viewers will note my suspect limp wrist action in one of the shots

570_1_200981115733.jpg

570_2_20098111593.jpg

570_3_200981115921.jpg

570_5_200981115103.jpg

570_7_2009811151045.jpg

ahem..... me:

570_1_20098315546.jpg

570_3_20098315637.jpg

Originally Posted By: spook
glad you like the pics seemore... cheers!
right now it is rainy, windy, stormy and generally pus. got the crap belted out of us in the boat this morning and yesterday driving around trying to find some surf for the guests. we didn't. anyway, there is suppossed to be a massive massive swell running at the moment, but it's yet to hit. crowds are also out of control. fingers crossed it all works out.

Photos up to you usual standard Spook thumbsup
Is it more crowded than last season? I've heard stories of 20-30 guys on a break.