TR: Mentawai Islands, Indonesia

Indo, thanks for the info - that area looks sick biggrin

>When I was helping on a mate's boat back in 97' we were surfing a isolated spot and another boat comes round the corner, zodiac drops off the surfers to where we were.. Kelly, Occy, Dorian, Kalani, Robb, Luke and the list went on! Billabong Challenge in tiny waves.. Still awesome to watch!

now thatd be some stoke!! party

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Indo

Spook. Kerrzy going to space on that one!. My bro is up to HT's land camp start of july.. Been trying to scam my way there.. Wife just shut me down! :(

Sounds like some serious sucking is required here Indo. I find it easier if you plant the seed early and let them get used to the idea.
It aint easy.

problem is when they want to go too. Surfing wives can backfire when you are trying to get away.. I'm calling a boys trip next time to Indo.. she can come to the Maldives with the family!

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Once you arrive in Padang, leave the rest to us.

Getting to Padang (West Sumatra)
Generally via Singapore, Jakarta or Kuala Lumpur.

Transfer from Padang to Mentawais
A choice of 2 comfortable ferries (fast or overnight)
Optional upgrade to SMAC Padang to Mentawai (Rokot) flight
Mentawai Ferry harbour to Pitstop Hill speedboat ride

im thinking my trip in aug.
about 2 weeks.
looks beautiful, but perhaps too short to visit there?
flying from kansai =)

indo, you are right.

just now i talked to a lady who does our overseas tickets and she said it'll be from kansai to denpasar, denpasar to jakarta, one night stay and then padang.

last weekend i went through lonely planet a bit (i think mentawai was on page 248) and read something like it takes 12 hours to get there from padang by a boat.. perhaps it's a slow boat and it'll be quicker by a fast boat (wearing a helmet like o-to bai kozo from dr. slump arare-chan =))

Great post guys, fully understand about the frustrations of living in Indo smile

Hey Spook heard there was another camp being built, hope the crowds arent getting to bad.

For those heading that way dont be afraid to spend a night in Padang, its a cool place and well worth a look.

just got back to the islands after 10 days away... so good to be back in the water.

had a surf with andy irons, ross williams, and martin potter at lunchtime. before that i floated around e-bay by myself and picked off a couple of fun ones.

when are you thinking of coming out ewok? it's not too hard to get here cheaply, so long as you have ample time up your sleeve and don't mind roughing it

Originally Posted By: spook

had a surf with andy irons, ross williams, and martin potter at lunchtime. before that i floated around e-bay by myself and picked off a couple of fun ones.

I hope you gave a good account of yourself Spook.
  • 4 weeks later...

ok, mantas' pics of the law on the surf thread got me inspired to post some more...

these were all taken by the lovely spookette. the first is of one of our first guests. low light and grainy as a storm was moving in, but he was pretty stoked with it.

the bottom two are me at the same spot. small swell but super super fun.

today is rainy and windy and generally pus, but there is a solid looking swell due to hit on friday. there will be some monster waves out there for those who want to chase them. i think i am after something solid but not ridiculous. we'll see what happens

2687456545_1cbc8dd336.jpg 2688274084_73e2b4ecc7.jpg

2688276586_a34f677e0f.jpg

Nice one Spook. Did you touch those up at all?

>there is a solid looking swell due to hit on friday. there will be some monster waves out there for those who want to chase them. i think i am after something solid but not ridiculous. we'll see what happens<

What's ya biggest board you got there?

course i touched em up! bit of contrast, saturation etc. probably won't print so good, but they look nice. oh yeah, i also made the waves look bigger wink

my biggest board's a 6'8". if i need a bigger board than that then the waves are too big for me. lots of the guys who have spent alot of time here only ride about 6'6" even on the biggest days anyway

Originally Posted By: spook

my biggest board's a 6'8". if i need a bigger board than that then the waves are too big for me. lots of the guys who have spent alot of time here only ride about 6'6" even on the biggest days anyway

Yep. That ain't me. My short board is 6'6" and I'm quite comfortable these days in bigger waves on my 7'2".

You know that you are spoilt rotten don't you? Every surf you have for the rest of your life will compare to these sessions at PIt Stop Hill.
biggrin (<-I'm as green as this guy)

yeah man, i have to keep pinching myself to remind me that i am living in paradise. i got one of the best barrels of my life out the front here a few nights ago. super hollow, all orange and purple water as the sun went down..... yeeeeeuuuuuwww!

I heard back from my bro. He was out at HT's and had a good 2 weeks there. Boat crowds got to him though..and they bailed for Bali... ha ha ha, he's not as hardcore anymore!

Softie..

ps.. yes, I know there are more crowds in Bali.. more diesel & oil in the water too.

A mate of mine just got back from G-land. He said the crowd was thin. Max 30 guys. He had one session with only 2 out. Plus it's now only about $60 per night! It was more expensive than that 20 years ago! G-Lands looking good for my next trip.

I've just gotta find a good time to mention it to the missus.