Fab (and not so fab) & nostalgic 80's and other naff music videos thread

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like that one when it first came out, but it's a good little song. Electric Dreams can be forgiven coz it wasn't The Human League. They did have some quality control issues though, nothing comes close to Dare/League Unlimited. v got me onto that remix one, it is really good. You won't need any cheese at the concert pie-eater, it is provided in dollops by the band wink Is it that one with ABC and Heaven 17 you going to?

Love Action is totally killer. Its no wonder they chose to release it before Don't You Want Me. Its so much better. Human is a good tune, but its basically just Jam/Lewis with the Human League singing.

Here's Roxy back to outJapan Japan and outDuran the still demoing Duran Duran. Great bassline on this one.

Back in those days, didn't lots of bands record singles and then go in and do the album? I think I recall reading an interview with "this is Phil talking" and him saying that originally they didn't want Don't You Want Me to be released as a single because it was after the album was released and way after the first few singles that were eventually on Dare.

How things change.

Lots of bands used to release singles well in advance of albums.

One good example is Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode. It was released more than 6 months before the album that it was on (Violator) and went on to sell tons. Then they released Enjoy The Silence before the album as well with 2 singles after the album was released. Off topic but those CD Maxis they released for those singles are fine fine slices of remixes, truly their golden period my favorite being the World In My Eyes. Ah, they don't make them like they used to. sadface

The singles market is pretty much dead now, the whole way of doing things has totally changed. While many bands still release a single a few weeks before an album is released, no-one buys them any more!

(Lets ignore the ultrapop boy band market now shall we?)

• 1 month later...

Pass the Dutchie is a classic....I used to have it one vinyl (ok it was my bro's BUT....), it was blue with a picture of all of em on it!!

Thurs is ok as well.....well Big Country is a bit dodgy but Paul Weller has some quality songs and Simple Minds as well