Fab (and not so fab) & nostalgic 80's and other naff music videos thread

Vince Clarke. While I like some of his stuff, him leaving Depeche turned out to be a wonderful thing.

Compare

Vince could never do anything even approaching this layered masterpiece ( possibly my favorite song, so don't critisize wink )

Oh Dave and Martin, how totally mixed up you were then.

Confusing thing is, output was far better when they were in that state than the current sober version.

Vince is still stuck in Erasure mode.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes V, they certainly have evolved since I remembered them from the 80's - severely coiffed leather clad gay mardi gras band ( stir) to now, with complicated arrangements.

Though, it's unfair to compare - they were young and the music was raw - which has some appeal in itself.

I like both.

P.S. I'm not a Depeche Mode groupie, just like all types of music ... except for rap ...

I wish they still had those complicated arangements. I'm afraid their last album has really really disappointed me. For the most part the songs aren't there and the production is... almost Erasure like in a way, too analogue-ey and lacking. I am still sad. But I'm a huuuuuge DM fan, I love them to bits but I'd prefer they quit rather than make another album like the last one and spoil all my special memories!

They are playing the Royal Albert Hall in London next week and while I'm also not keen on their live setup - which to me is close to what they said they didn't want to become, live 'rock drums' and all - I would dearly love to go see them there.

You are right though about not comparing as they are essentially a different band. Vince was the (almost) sole songwriter for that one album, and then Martin came in to keep them going and evolved into a brilliant writer of dark but melodic electronic songs. I still get tingles listening to Walking and some of their other classics, it's just amazing.

I'll shut up now. lol

Here's some Yazoo, Vince sure knows how to write a pop song

Remember The Assembly - Vince and Feargal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvQVSbaDSig

Whatever happened to Feargal Sharkey?

Originally Posted By: veronica

Whatever happened to Feargal Sharkey?

Poor V, so disillusioned ... live with the memory of greater things!

As for Fergal, according to Wiki, he sold out:

'In October 2008, he became head of UK Music [5], an umbrella organisation representing the collective interests of the UK's commercial music industry. He has become prominent in criticising the use of Form 696 by the Metropolitan Police' requiring event promoters to provide data on performers and audiences.[6]

2009. Entered the Guardian newspaper's MediaGuardian 100, described as the "MediaGuardian's annual guide to the most powerful people in television, radio, newspapers, magazines, digital media, media business, advertising, marketing and PR", at number 56.

Yes, a 'good heart is hard to find'! wink

PIL!! Mr Lydon still remains a tosser after all these years ... bloody ginger-heads, got no friends lol

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
I'm sure you know this already, v --- seems Mr Alan Wilder was onstage with DM last night at that Royal Albert Hall gig. Played piano on Somebody. Would have been a great concert to be at. Have they recorded it?

Yes saw it! Now if they patched up and he was involved in a new album, that would get me excited. It's him and what he brought that has been lacking.