Vista users - beware of Windows updates

Well I updated my Windows last night with the official updates (there were quite a few). Anyway, after I had done them, IE would not work. At all. It just wouldn't show a site (Firefox could and the connection was ok). It took me a few hours to get it working again. Very frustrating. (Eventually I did that be uninstalling the new updates).

Just thought I would warn other people who might be in the same situation.

(No need for MS haters comments here, we know them all already).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not buying into the MS debate, but why were you using IE if you have FF? Surely you also have IETab plugin, which allows you to see the sites that insist you use IE. No need to even open IE ever!

Usually stuff like, "no you cannot delete that file/folder because it is in use by some program" when no programs are open (file/folder later could be deleted on next boot), or "cannot overwrite because file/folder is read-only" when the file/folder wasn't.

Mostly annoying bugs. No salient functioning issues like crashing or locking up.

"no you cannot delete that file/folder because it is in use by some program"

I've had that one. Not updated the machine lately though.

I wish they would explain more half the time you don't really know what you are updating.

pays to research up on updates before just installing them. I always look on apple discussions to see what the verdict is before installing updates.. same would go for windoze I would presume!

Microsoft compensated Xbox live users earlier this year with 800 points each due to problems with the service over the new year. I believe they also extended the warranty on the xbox worldwide to 3 years due to a common malfunction and offered refunds to people who had paid for such repairs before this new policy was put out.

Originally Posted By: brit-gob
Do they compensate people somehow for that kind of stuff?

I wish! Just for all the frustration, it would be nice if they had a corporate whipping boy whose job it was to go around to get corporally punished by all the user accounts. I don't want monetary or other compensation - I want to smack someone with a rubber chicken!

Whats the word on XP vs Vista?

I just ordered a new laptop, was going to go for vista but the guy who buys the laptops pushed XP on me so I went for it. He reckoned Vista is being discontinued in 2010 and is the new Windows ME. All I know about Vista is that it is 'more secure' according to MS though they dont explain why. And I've heard of compatibility problems with accessories with vista.

I'm not very technical bobby12, but I like it. (Well, compared with XP). I have been using it for more than a year now and not had any problems. My PC doesn't crash at all either now and seems quite stable.

This is all apart from that last update which messed things up a bit, but I uninstalled them now and am back to ok.

Discontinued in 2010 - doesn't that sound rather unlikely?

There are definite problems with backward compatibility. Soubriquette has spent a lot of time sorting out drivers for her new vista machine, and has had to replace her expensive business software. I'm sticking with XP Pro, which I have found totally stable.

It's the old question of "I have a machine that does all I want it to, why should I upgrade?"

The answer is an emphatic "You should not!"

Whilever the machine does what you want, satisfactorily, at a decent speed and accurately, there is no need for an upgrade.

However, when the box stops being effective, there are things to consider.

1. Does the new OS have operational problems.

2. Are there difficulties with the programs I use?

3. Can these diffciulties be overcome easily? OR will it cost too much?

4. costs Vs benefits? Analyse the costs of the changeover vs the costs of not changing. There should be at least a 60% benefit before you start to think about the change, ie you should have 60% more benefit than cost.

Yep, in many businesses, new technology can only be purchased of there is a business case made out which shows at least a 6 fold return on the investment over the expected life of the equipment.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Whats the word on XP vs Vista?

I just ordered a new laptop, was going to go for vista but the guy who buys the laptops pushed XP on me so I went for it. He reckoned Vista is being discontinued in 2010 and is the new Windows ME. All I know about Vista is that it is 'more secure' according to MS though they dont explain why. And I've heard of compatibility problems with accessories with vista.

XP will receive no support after this year. If you're used to XP and can get an XP machine, stick with XP. If the new machine comes with Vista, bite the bullet and get in on the ground floor. Vista is so far very stable and very secure, but is just a little buggy. Whatever you do, if you have a perfectly functional XP machine, do not "upgrade" to Vista - leave it as is.

Unless, as I do, you have to install the blardy thing, you will likely not notice too much problems. If you are totally hooked on XP (ummm, where were you when 3.1 was around?) you'll make the transition fairly easily.

OTOH, if you find Xp a pain, Vista has at least as many problems, and possibly more if you count driver issues with printers.

Whatever, the future is Vista and the developments therefrom, so get used to them.

(Vista - distant view)