• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: bobby12
I think windows xp can only use 3gb unless u have the 64bit version.

that is correct. i think it may be about 3.2 but i am not sure..

its a long story.. its something to do with matched pairs of sticks..
afaik...

confused
Originally Posted By: bobby12
I think windows xp can only use 3gb unless u have the 64bit version.

Check the install requirements on the MS pages. It's 4Gb.

The 3Gb thing is a confusion of how the OS uses the memory (trust MS to do something so dodgy). One way is 2Gb for apps and 2Gb for the OS. Or you can have 3Gb for apps and 1Gb for the OS. 2 + 2 is the default. With either set up all the memory is available to be used.
Originally Posted By: Journey Man
Originally Posted By: thursday.
back in the DOS days, my PC was ... get ready for it.... 128KB
grandpa

I used Dos 2.0 in one of my jobs... But we had cool machines with 512kb!

You young whippersnappers! Pshaw! grandpa

My first "personal Computer" had just 4Kb (yes that is not a misprint - it was 4 kilobytes) of RAM, ran CP-M, had to have a cassette recorder as a bulk storage mechanism and was based on the chipset that ran the original space invaders games.

I was told, by the salesman, that I'd "never run out of mamory!".

It took me just 4 weeks to realise that the stuff I was developing, to help teach resistor colour codes and transistor codes to electronics students, would require more memory that I had.

I bought a 4K upgrade - with the warning on the pack that "installing this upgrade will void your warranty". The reason was that he system couldn't recognise the new memory unless a track, in the middle of a group of 3 closely spaced tracks, was cut.

Needless to say, I dod the upgrade, cut the track, and went ahead with the development. Then, after a few months, Apple developed the AppleII. So, I just HAD to have one.

Bought a C-PM card, so that the code I'd cut wasn't totally wasted. Prorted it, later, to Apple DOS and used in school for several years.

Ummmm, Kidding, right?? confused

For the mathematically challenged ...

1Byte = 8 bits

1KiloByte (KB) = 1024 Bytes

1MegaByte (MB) = 1024 KB

1GigaByte (GB) = 1024 MB

So, yes, in short, 4KB is about 1/1000th the size of 4Meg, and 1/1000000th the size of 4Gig.

casette tape? LUXURY!

When I was a lad we had to read the 0s and 1s into t'computer with t'strain of our mouth and charge its battery wit pedal power. 18 hours it took us to get it to do a simple calculation.

I remember loading games into my ZX Spectrum with a tape.

I kind of remember it sounding like a dial up internet connection with lots of noise on the screen. There was a real sense of anticipation.

Yep, and you could hack some games by typing something like:

10 STOP

20 POKE "178971"

30 GOTO 1040

and it would give you 'infinite lives'

POKE was a way to insert a value into a memory location (in this case a specific code for infinite lives into the digital equivalent of the actual binary address required).

The PEEK command was the way to see what was the value in a specific memory location.

Algol 68! So you were one of the 26 people who learnt it!

Was it fun?!

Do I remember correctly you made/sold a computer game when you were younger? (SJ1)

• SnowJapan Admin

I really can't remember much about the Algol 68 klingon, but I do remember being told by the professor that 'nobody used it' which wasn't very encouraging! It was luckily just a very short part of one course.

Yes I did make a videogame when I was about 15-16 (?) and sold it in the UK. A classic, it was.

rollabout

That was Basic (both meanings!)