• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really??? You are the first person I've heard say anything good about Vista.

I've only tried it once on a new Dual Core 1.5GHz Compaq with only 1.5G of Ram. After 5 minutes of booting I got bored and went and used another machine.

What is great about Vista? I only know about the bad bits of Vista from reports of other user and techo friends. Apart from being told about lots of eye candy, I've never been told about the good bits, so I'm interested to hear.

Thats frankly ridiculous Journey Man. If you look you will find plenty of people saying good things about Vista. But obviously not where you look.

I bought a new machine last year and got Vista and I think it is good. Whats good about it? Well, every aspect I can think of is better than XP, so that kind of makes it better doesn't it.

My pc takes literally seconds to boot and has not crashed once in over a year. etc etc.

I'm not some tech-head or geek and I'm not interested or informed enough to enter some big discussion about some technical specs or whaterver. All I know is that Vista is a way better experience all round than XP ever was.

Vista needs 2GB of RAM to run so that would explain the slow speed. From what I can see, its not worth up-speccing your machine just to get some eye-candy though. XP gets the job done and all your peripherals work on it.

M$ always talk about how Vista is more 'secure' without actually explaining why, which I found a bit irritating.

Originally Posted By: orinoco
Thats frankly ridiculous Journey Man. If you look you will find plenty of people saying good things about Vista. But obviously not where you look.

I bought a new machine last year and got Vista and I think it is good. Whats good about it? Well, every aspect I can think of is better than XP, so that kind of makes it better doesn't it.

My pc takes literally seconds to boot and has not crashed once in over a year. etc etc.

I'm not some tech-head or geek and I'm not interested or informed enough to enter some big discussion about some technical specs or whaterver. All I know is that Vista is a way better experience all round than XP ever was.

I'm glad to hear some people are finding it great!

When it came out I asked around and was told not to even consider using it on my current machine and further there were endless problems. I tend to mainly listen to my techo mates and they are still down on it. I can't use it hence I have no reason to research it, so I was really interested to hear from someone who had good to say.

In my expereince, Vista starts way faster but shuts down slower. That could be machine-dependent: My XP "power" machine has a slightly slower processor and a lot more indexable peripherals.

My new notebook is Vista and I think it is a big improvment on XP as well. In fact, I can't see any aspect that isn't so people saying it is worse just comes across as some fanboy ranting.

dance

Originally Posted By: veronica
My new notebook is Vista and I think it is a big improvment on XP as well. In fact, I can't see any aspect that isn't so people saying it is worse just comes across as some fanboy ranting.

dance

I think most people would be angry if they bought a machine that didn't work.

Many of the problems are nothing to do with everyday usage, but more with peripherals not working (that worked with XP) and machines being sold that weren't up to the task of running Vista.

No probles with peripherals here.

I recall reading problems at the beginning - surely to be expected to a certain degree - but not now.

Quote:
machines being sold that weren't up to the task of running Vista

That's hardly Vistas fault is it?

Quote:
That's hardly Vistas fault is it?

I agree it isn't, but lots of people are blaming Vista - you can see their logic: You buy a machine with a much higher spec than your old machine but it goes slower. When you ask why people tell you that Vista is "too heavy" for that machine. So you blame Vista, not the manufacturers getting the specs wrong. It's hard to imagine any manufacturer getting it so wrong. It would be interesting to know why they did.

Hey, maybe we can kick off a new conspiracy theory! The manufacturers are so sick of Microsoft that they all deliberately flooded the market with substandard machines to make Vista and Microsoft look bad. In time they will release their own amazing operating system that will save the day and consign Microsoft to the scrap heap... Ubuntu anyone?
Originally Posted By: veronica

dance

Don't quite understand what you mean by "fanboy". Do you imply that, because I dislike Vista, for WHATEVER reason, it is simply because I am a fan of XP, and not for some other reason?

If you head to the poll thread here you'll see some comments. If that is "fanboy ranting" then I'll leave you to your fantasy.

JA and soubriquet. In case you didn't know already

Quote:
Fanboy (sometimes spelled fanboi) is a term used to describe an individual who is devoted to a single subject in a fanatical manner, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. Fanboys remain loyal to their particular obsession.

Liking something and not liking something else does not make you a fanboy.

Obsessing over something, blinkered to all other things and hating the alternative no matter what, etc, may.

So it depends on which you are I suppose.

Apparently not. I don't believe anyone actually said you were.

I was simply pointing out what fanboy-dom is to those who were unsure as to what it was.