1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I'm not sure if this was done before, but time for a fresh look.

I was wondering what time scale people usually replace their computers. (and what indeed you do with the old ones!)

My current one is getting slow and I am thinking about treating myself to a new one.

Poll!

Rubbish.

I'm looking at the Toshiba Qusmio notebooks, they look quite nice. I'm looking online for reputations and stuff - anyone got one?

I want to avoid Dell.

I have a Toshiba dynabook laptop and I am pretty happy with it.

Tips for when buying a computer:

1) Put the highest memory that the motherboard can take, don't buy anything with less than 2GB memory.

2) Select the hard disc with the highest rpm (that would be 7200 rpm).

3) Dont buy Celeron processors.

macs have better longevity. but if the software you run is all windows and you like to play alot of games its a no no. If not, i switched across 4 years ago and think its been a great move (i mostly use microsoft word/excel/powerpoint, photoshop, flash, movie editing software etc).

I dont want to turn this thread into a mac vs pc debate but from my experiance, my computers outlast my friends - well aside from my mate who has an Alienware laptop, which he bought a similar time to my mac book pro, and they are still on a par performance wise.

Turn your old computer into a media centre, wipe everything bar the basics (itunes/media player etc) and fill it with tunes and videos and connect it to your TV!

I just got a Toshiba Satellite U-series and it's great! thumbsup.gif

If you run on battery a lot, get anything with Intel Centrino technology - the power consumption will be lower and you'll get a longer run-time. Any of the current Intel dual-core processors are faster than Pentium 4 or 3 in actual practice, even if the speed rating may be lower, so your new machine will easily be faster than your old one.

About every 2 years. I get tired of them getting bogged down, slow, etc and while I know you could spend days and days doing stuff to make it better, it always seems a good idea to refresh and get a new beast.

Just worked it out - average 2.5 years.

I'd be interested to know what people get.

I have a toshiba notebook now, the one before was Dell and that had a lot of small problems, I wasn't too pleased with that one from the beginning (build, some issues with the hardware)

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
The strongest/fastest machine I have al runs Unix. ;\)

I seem to recall that the MacOS is unix based. Which is partly why there is such a divide - macnatics love the beast, PC users realise that they are using an inferior machine but with a more "popular" system. (popular = better marketed)

At home have an old DELL which is now EIGHT years old (Window 98SE) - burnt out one HDD in that time (so far!). Stripped it back to a glorified Word Processor, etc. Can burn CD's and watch DVD's on it because it was top-of-the-range back then.

What's the lesson?

Buy the best machine you can afford with all the techy gismo capabilities and it will last you a long while.

At work we have very high end 'puters, printers/plotters and scanners, do some home-related (foreign orders!) on them, burn to memory stick and take home for further work, hence, no need to upgrade home PC for a while.

Also, have a 500Gb external HDD = back-up facility.

The HDD has been making some whirring noises lately, so it may be going to Hard-Disc Heaven soon. Will simply get another HDD rather than a new PC.

(Vista hasn't had all the bugs worked, so will wait a while before jumping into that.)

I was going to replace my main desktop recently because it was unexpectedly dieing on me all the time. However, I opened it up first, cleaned out all the dust I found, and now its going great again. Its much more quiet as well. Its four years old.

With laptops, I find the biggest problem is the power connector. If your kid pulls on it or trips over the wire, it soon gets knackered. We've had problems with two in a row. This computer I'm on now has it jammed in with a load of tin foil and duct tape. When I get some time, I saw open the case and solder the thing on.

I often get fed up with computers when they start getting slow and full and the keyboard goes wonky. I get to the point where I "feel the need" to get a new one, and usually do when I get to that point. Just worked it out about every 2 years for my notebook, but the desktop I have now is 3 years old (got me thinking!)

Originally Posted By: charlotte
Is that an overseas model Ezorisu, I couldn't see on here when I looked today.

I think it's a "Dynabook CX/47E" on the JDM. The US model has a deep blue case instead of silver/white. I wanted something as small as possible.