How really do the Aussie ski tourists really act in Japan???

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
JM mate what did you say about feb to march again??? no snow right?
You still stand by your "guaranteed hit!"

Absolutely! I was refering to the Northern Flatlands as a guaranteed forum topic. It works every time. lol.gif

• SnowJapan Admin

Here we are busy into the night preparing things for our Forums update, and it seems that things have heated up on here considerably since I last looked.

Look, enough of this please, it is getting way out of hand and it is only going in one direction and I have taken the last few inflammatory comments down.

(Please note that my following comments are not referring to any one person or people)

Let me say this. However much any individual takes part and contributes to SnowJapan - and as much as it is encouraged and we are of course happy to see people contribute - it does not affect the way we run things here. This site would exist with or without any individuals that use the site and these Forums, as it did before the Forums existed and has done since. Check out this interview for a bit more background about how this site came into being and some insight into the way it is run:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/interviews-andrew-lea.html

Please, if you post again in this thread keep it on topic - otherwise it will be deleted.

Thank you.

Speaking for Hirafu Village primarily and the greater Niseko area in general the trend in terms of cost of property ownership and the price per night for holiday accommodation is aiming very much to the well heeled family market.

Not always, but often, this market behaves pretty well.

I would expect the Niseko area to become more international in the coming years with less trouble.

And in real terms, the 'trouble' in the Niseko area is insignificant in comparison with other 'international' winter resorts.

Jeeze, I feel like an American going to a world war; LATE. I should've been on here instead of having dinner and spending unique quality time with my family.

The accomodation in Hirafu will price out the louts soon. I think the budget places may well upgrade to be non-budget places. The only way is up.

The real challenge now is to ensure there are the services and activities in place to keep the well heeled happy. The rich have higher expectations and are far more demanding than the average ski bum...

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
I The best bit is there are no Colonials ;\)

Oh, We will get there one day, we will rescue that town as well, mark my words.

Now, tell me again how you get there again.
 Originally Posted By: Fattwins

How Auzzies act in Hokkaido here it goes.
Young idiots are idiots
Older more mature people ast mature usally even when drunk

Know what? I actually believe I agree with them sentiments. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it matters not which country they come from/were born in/live in.

Young idiots are idiots, no matter where they are at the time, old idiots are far more trouble, because they know how to get away with it (most of the time).

>Young idiots are idiots, no matter where they are at the time, old idiots are far more trouble, because they know how to get away with it (most of the time).

yes, and unfortunately, we sometimes hear about them on the news here in Japan in the way of young servicemen doing stupid shit. JA hit the nail on the head, country doesnt matter.

Yeah, watch out Soubs - now that the colonials have fallen in love with Niseko, they are learning the Nihongo...pretty soon they will be accessing everywhere!! LOLZ.

We can bring ya some Vegemite and Tim Tams when we visit..... (or you can just duck up to Niseko and pick some up from the SeicoMart.)

I can get vegemite here Mamabear (at Yamaya). Don't you worry about me \:\) Soubriquette has just been diagnosed with lymphoma. That brings a whole new perspective to life.

The Hakuba one-string-fiddle keeps the flat theme. Once I was young, and I've never been an ace skier. Some of us just like to slide on fresh snow. That makes me a Troll?

5-star luxury apartments going in below J-First.

Niseko Village, the re-branded Higashiyama, won't offer 5-star amenities but by bringing Hilton on board they should offer 5-star service.

And hopefully this will have an effect on all businesses in the area.

For the Niseko area to remain successful it has to employ a low volume (people) high spend model. The mountain and lift system is not good/big enough to cope with more guests without queues developing and the powder snow experience being compromised.

Thankfully there are MANY resorts in Japan that can offer a similar experience to that of the Niseko area.

Originally Posted By: MikePow
5-star luxury apartments going in below J-First.

Niseko Village, the re-branded Higashiyama, won't offer 5-star amenities but by bringing Hilton on board they should offer 5-star service.

And hopefully this will have an effect on all businesses in the area.

For the Niseko area to remain successful it has to employ a low volume (people) high spend model. The mountain and lift system is not good/big enough to cope with more guests without queues developing and the powder snow experience being compromised.

Thankfully there are MANY resorts in Japan that can offer a similar experience to that of the Niseko area.

It's kind of weird that Aussie is becoming a nouveau riche society where many of their will now travel the world paying ridiculous prices for an "experience." The irony is that the Japanese had the same mentality back in the 80s when they would flock to the Gold Coast.
 Originally Posted By: MikePow

Yes, many many many. But Niseko has a definite 'edge' over the others. A very comfortable english speaking environment.

You can book with a company in Sydney, have Bruce from Bondi do a meet and greet when you arrive, have Sharon from Mona vale get you organized with lift passes ect, rent your gear from Brain from Newcastle, have Craig from Cronulla organize your optional day trips..........Hell, you could do your whole stay in Niseko and not even have to deal with a single Japanese person.
I don't have a problem with any of that, it's not my cup of tea, each to their own, I just think that is where Niseko has an advantage over other resorts. IMO
 Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Soubriquette has just been diagnosed with lymphoma. That brings a whole new perspective to life.

Sorry to hear that - I wish her the best and hope everything works out.