Increasingly I'm finding myself doing what would usually be called "work" at home - stuff like thinking about things, checking mails and the like.

Unfortunately I don't work for myself so I've decided to ban myself from doing this sort of thing - it's invading my own personal time. I'm going to be strict, no computer turned on in the evenings, no work related stuff going on.

I get the feeling talking to other people that it's quite common.

Anyone here take work home? More and more with email and stuff?

You do need to have a clear cut Home and Work time, otherwise your life will be a complete mess.

If there's anything urgent, then they call my mobile, but it's understood that is urgent only or if there are free drinks/feasting to be done.

Computer at home for own stuff only, no work emails.

I used to never take work home, but now its just part of the deal. I constantly have to do various things, and rather than be in the noisy office where its hard to concentrate I just do it at home. Saves me hassle. Plus, I can only handle being at work for so long before I need to freaking get out and go work out.

For security our emails are not accessible outside the office, so I cant get the emails at home \:\)

I think about work a lot though unfortunately - sometimes how to proceed my work, but usually just about how much I hate MrX or rules XYZ.

thursday - I think some users can access via VPN on special laptops with special security devices. Thankfully I am not required to do so.

Not really a bother here, as with my schedule with work, I usually only need to teach at a max 2-3 hours a day (split work scheduling), the rest of the time I am free to go and do what I want.

Kinda like doing work at home when I am not at the schools, as I can work at what pace I decide. Also dont have to pretend to work when there is nothing to do.

Quote:
It is intrusive, but when it is your own business it is sink or swim and sometimes the best laid family time plans need to be shelved and work attended to.

Yes, when it's your own business there really isn't much turning off.
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
4.5 hr meeting just finished

feck me, I had a 3hr one last Friday, one of the most boring 3 hours of my life, talk a bout crapping on about nothing!
4.5 hours, I would have committed harakiri by then...

well, when youre a HR teacher and have lots vested in the school, they actually mean something. Generally they can be long but, as long as there's no wan*ers getting stuck on procedure, what we deal with and have to discuss is important and just takes time. That was also the meeting before the start of the year, hence it took lots of time.

4.5 hour meeting. I remember the last one I went to was basically that time spent with guys reading from sheets of paper, almost word for work. Then a "talking discussion" time when basically nothing was discussed. It was painful.

Good to hear that productive meetings can be had!

• 1 month later...