Mantas's UK beer and pie tour.

TB- You'r a tree of knowledge on this subject I can see. Dark beers..mmmmm..OK I'll have 8 pints of it today and let you know what happens. If there is any illness, I'll blame you. sick.gif

I agree on the lager point. That's about all we drink in Oz, and we drink it COLD. I think I've worked out why we dont drink pints in Oz, only schooners and halves. The beer just gets too warm sitting around for so long.

Wife beater lol.gif

Koko- The pie shop near the bowling alley in Mayfield?? thumbsup.gif It'll be mighty hard to find a pie shop to match that one over here.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the immigration issue. I watched a documentary last night on the very subject. Immigration explosion, job security, growing resentment. ect...

Trouble ahead for this country I think.

Like I said Mantas, I have only recently began experimenting with dark ales, usually I'm a lager drinker. BUT lager in the UK is bland and basically crap. Sure you can get some decent european beers in bottles but very few on tap. I went to the Oktoberfest in Germany a few years ago and it was outstanding. The different kinds of beer were astounding and what was best was the fact that although I literally consumed gallons of beer after my 10 day stint, each morning the hangover was minimal. They don't dump the same amount of chemicals that we do in the UK into the beer. So its fresh, crisp and almost (but not quite) hangover free \:\) .

The point yoou made about Aussies not drinking pints is a good one. I believe that that is the true reason, the beer would just be too warm by the end of it. The beer is usually cold though, can't think of drinking a warm beer from the tap. A few times the glass has been warm as it was just out the washer and the bottom of the beer warmed up, this really gets my goat. I wish they would chill glasses back home like they do here.

Originally Posted By: Mantas

Koko- The pie shop near the bowling alley in Mayfield?? thumbsup.gif It'll be mighty hard to find a pie shop to match that one over here.

yep, that is the one. top quality pies there mate..
surf is crap, southerly (SE ? ) blowin and its a mess..

OK- Lager from the tap. I've found it to be often warm (warmer than OZ) usually because the glass is not chilled as TB said. It's cold enough when it's handed to you but quickly warms up and I struggle to drink the last third. I had a few different lagers last night but struggled to find one I liked.

More reseach required. \:\)

Pies- Nowhere near as plentiful as in Oz. It can be a mission to find a shop that sells pies in some of these places. Yesterday I had a cornish pasty that was very nice but lacked a little spice. The slice of apple pie was a bit bland too. What I did discover was a 'Steak blade'. I've never seen one before. It's basically a flatish flake pastry square full of pie like meat. It was sensational. thumbsup.gif

All pastery type things in these shop are quite a bit cheaper than at home.

More later wave.gif

Perhaps, i say pseudo pies as when i was last in wigan (well standish) i was given a meat type thing in sortof a croissant type pastry. Any ideas what it would have been called? it was good like! but apparently you wigan people are not called pie eaters cos you eat pies, its another reason that i also cant remember

I have never heard of Wigan being famous for pies.

I like Flemings (of Arbroath) steak and gravy pies, they are outstanding!!

Wallaces of Dundee used to be awesome but they have changed owners a couple of times in the past 10 years and every time they change their pies get worse. Nicholl's pies in Dundee are the best Scotch Pie!!! lovely!!!!

Hey Mantas, get your gums around a Sausage Roll, they are another pastry delicacy!!!

Do you get Bridie's in England?

When you consider Wigan and food, there’s only one thing that comes to mind… pie! Whether it’s slapped in a barm, covered in pea-wet or served up with chips, Wiganers are renowned for their love of all things pastry-wrapped.

In fact, pies go down so well in Wigan that every year, the World Pie-Eating Championship takes place in the town, but why has the town become so synonymous with pie?

You’d be forgiven for thinking that it’s because of the sheer volume of pies that are consumed by Wiganers every year, but in reality, they don’t eat more of the stodgy treats than most other towns. The reason for the nickname actually comes from a very different time.

It all started on 3 May, 1926, when the General Council of the Trade Union Congress called a general strike in support of the nation’s coal miners, to protest against falling wages and worsening work conditions.

For nine days, Britain was brought to a standstill. Workers in key industries, such as railwaymen, dockers, steel workers and transport workers, downed tools and picketed their workplaces to support their mining colleagues.

Despite so much support, the TUC eventually had to give in and tell people to go back to work after the Government stated that they couldn’t force employers to take everyone who had been on strike back.

Let them eat pie

Up in Wigan though, they had already returned to work. The collieries there had decided to take matters into their own hands and were literally starving their miners back down the pit. With nothing to eat and no money, the workers had no choice but to return to work before the workforces of the surrounding towns.

They had, in essence, been forced to eat ‘humble pie’.

Thus the nickname that Wiganers now cherish was born. Not out of a love of pastry-covered meats, but out of the cruelness of employers and the harshness of life. Much as Wigan enjoys its pies now, for one day in May 1926, pie was the last thing they wanted to be eating.

OK..Ok... Sorry for the delay, I'm back on track now.

Pork pies.??? WTF are they. Any meat product that only costs 2 pounds for half a kilo is too close to dog food for my liking. Yuk. I guess poor people have to eat something. I've enquired about Wigan but it's 100 miles from here. I'm not driving 100 miles to sample a pie just to appease you Pie Eater.

Stella- (or wife beater as TB calls it). I cant escape it. Everywhere I go people have it in there fridge (or cupboard). Nun's piss !!!

I'll definately be having a few ales tonight and if someone buys me a Stella I'll snot them!

Stemik, noones mentioned the rugby yet. They dont have as much to talk about this time as they did in 2004. If they do I just remind them of the Statistics.

England-2 finals appearences, 1 win.

Australia-3 finals appearences, 2 wins.

England -65 millioin people.

Australia- 20 million people.

\:\)