Mantas's UK beer and pie tour.

Well it's been 7 years now since I've been to the old dart, and as I look out the window on this lovely spring morning I can see a nice covering of snow every where. Yep SNOW. (i guess we wont be going to the beach today).

I'm already a bit corncerned about England laying claim to being a true pie nataion. Yesterday we went through town and I couldn't see a pie shop anywhere. This wouldn't happen in Australia.

A beer nation, no doubt. This town of 5000 people is sporting 13 pubs! Now..... they will all require a visit at some point during my stay, so I can form an honestand prudent evaluation of the of the liquid amber on offer.

More later.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been there but when I think of the UK I think of BEER and PIE. I'd like to go for exactly those two reasons. \:\)

Actually, my Brit freinds have always been really cool too but they say that all the cool people have left the country, leaving a bunch of asses to hold the fort.

(That's really what they say. I'm not trying to knock Brits. ;\) )

I'm in North Lincolnshire..........eeee...by ..gum...laddy..it's blurdy freezing out there. My wife been out for a run already (in the snow) I havent ventured out yet. I'll stay inside and complain about everything instead. (when in england...) ;\)

Actually, my Brit freinds have always been really cool too but they say that all the cool people have left the country, leaving a bunch of asses to hold the fort

Yep. That's what I've been hearing a lot too Ger.

I'm in North Lincolnshire..........eeee...by ..gum...laddy..it's blurdy freezing out there. My wife been out for a run already (in the snow) I havent ventured out yet. I'll stay inside and complain about everything instead. (when in england...) ;\)

Actually, my Brit freinds have always been really cool too but they say that all the cool people have left the country, leaving a bunch of asses to hold the fort

Yep. That's what I've been hearing a lot too Ger. They are all saying that the immigrants from Eastern Europe are destroying the country. I dont know about that but crime here is rife. I cant beleive the amount of security measures people have to take to protest their property. Maybe I'm spoilt, comming from small town OZ.I cant even remember if I locked my house properly when I left 3 weeks ago. confused.gif

the Brits really do have genuine reasons to moan.

Among other things, their hard stretched tax money is going into sheltering "asylum seekers" from Eastern Europe while they wait to have their cases heard. Latest wait I heard was about 2 years. So for that time, the family of 28 asylum seekers who arrived in Folkstone on one of the smuggling routes need to be house, clothed, kept in beer, all courtesy of the Brit tax payer. All moneys of course could've gone to better uses like, education, NHS, pensioner welfare, war in Iraq etc.

Any wonder why Aus is the top destination for Brits wanting a better life.

Originally Posted By: thursday.

Among other things, their hard stretched tax money is going into sheltering "asylum seekers" from Eastern Europe while they wait to have their cases heard. Latest wait I heard was about 2 years. So for that time, the family of 28 asylum seekers who arrived in Folkstone on one of the smuggling routes need to be house, clothed, kept in beer, all courtesy of the Brit tax payer. All moneys of course could've gone to better uses like, education, NHS, pensioner welfare, war in Iraq etc.

Any wonder why Aus is the top destination for Brits wanting a better life.

mate, I really don't think its the Eastern Europeans doing that, after all most of em can move freely now that they have joined the EU. The problem is still the assylum seekers from the middle east and war-displaced people. In my experience the eastern europeans have been hard working and not a problem.

I would reckon Mantas that all the security measures are to keep fellow Brits out. Its always a bit xenophobic when things are going wrong, but it tends to be home grown people that cause the probs.

RE the pie question, try and find a bakery and a local butcher as this is where the good pies are likely to be sold. A local butcher should make his own steak pies etc and the bakers should be good for a 1 person snack pie, whether thats a scotch pie, chicken pie or some local delicacy pie.
Get in about them Mantas!!

AND get yourself some Lincolnshire sausages, quality mate. Sausage casserole, or sausage in onion gravy with mashed potatoes...mmmmm!!!

Oh, I'm sorry, I got my geography confused. By "Asylum seekers from Eastern Europe" I meant "foreigners".

I used to live and pay tax in the UK. Thank myself I don't live there now.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I would reckon Mantas that all the security measures are to keep fellow Brits out. Its always a bit xenophobic when things are going wrong, but it tends to be home grown people that cause the probs.

That may be true TB. Regardless of whoever is doing it, the reason can be loosly attributed to an overloaded system, more pressure for jobs, housing ect. There is simply too many people living here and not all of them are contributing positively to the countries well being.

Thanks for the pie tips.
 Originally Posted By: Mantas
Tubby BeaverI would reckon Mantas that all the security measures are to keep fellow Brits out. Its always a bit xenophobic when things are going wrong, but it tends to be home grown people that cause the probs.

That may be true TB. Regardless of whoever is doing it, the reason can be loosly attributed to an overloaded system, more pressure for jobs, housing ect. There is simply too many people living here and not all of them are contributing positively to the countries well being.

Thanks for the pie tips.

definitely Mantas.
Thursday, I guess your being sarcastic, yet I have no idea why...

Some light reading here while you're searrching for the pies:

House of Lords

Select Committee on Economic Affairs

The Economic Impact of Immigration

"Immigration has become one of the biggest public policy issues in the UK.

Net immigration—defined as immigration minus emigration from the UK—

of non-British persons trebled from less than 100,000 per year in the early

1990s to over 300,000 in 2006, reaching a scale unprecedented in our

history. Over the same period, the share of adults who considered

“immigration and race relations” as the most important issue facing Britain

increased from less than 5% to over 40% (see Appendix 4). For most of

2006 and 2007, immigration was the number one issue of concern to the

British public, more important than law and order, the National Health

Service (NHS) and international terrorism."

Here's the full report

Generaly this debuncts the British government's argument that Britain needs immigrants to stuff their pension fund.

He has a point TB. I have a problem with the terminoligy of lets say ' visitors' to your country. We went through a phase a few years ago back in Oz We weren't allowed to call these 'vistors' illegal immigrants or refugees, they had to be called asylum seekers.

These people left their country of persecution, Afganistan, on a commercial airline. They then arrived in a 'safe' country, Indonesia. A country that shares the same religion as theirs. So why then do they need to risk their families life by signing up with people smuggling operators on a dodgey old woodern boat to try to make it Australia??

Sorry but their ' refugee' status expired when they landed in a safe country Indonesia, and from that point on they are considered illegal immigrants or queue jumpers IMO

End of rant

mantas, how are you mate?

I will go down maitland road to the custom pie shop and have a curried pie for you.

Then i will have a harpooner of old for you at the crown and anchor..

have fun...

surf is crap today so dont worry about a thing..

pie-eater is showing up those northerners for the snobs they are. ;\)

Quote:

Quite possibly. There certainly are legitimate things to be discontened about.

Though I'd say that most people in most countries have genuine reasons to moan about something.

Just one example off the top of my head.

I can't quite imagine having to live in a terribly overpopulated and polluted city on the 50th or whatever floor of some skyscraper monstrosity. I wouldn't do that for 10 times the money.

An incredibly pretty thatched cottage in the English countryside with a beautiful garden and a pub full of character a 10 minute walk away sounds a whole lot better than that to me.

Mantas, Thursday's reverse xenophobia has confused me to the point where I don't understand your point. lol.gif I think that we are agreeing on the same point, but in an argumentative manner!! I didn't make any point about the validity or pc-ness of calling them Asylum seekers, just that it is this group of immigrants that are causing the biggest problems, IMO, to the UK and not the Eastern Europeans.

Today we have had snow, sleet, rain, hail and now some sun. Most of this I viewed from the pub window. The old fella took my to his favorite pub for lunch, which I must say was very enjoyable. All the women went shopping. I had a steak and mushroom pie with veggies, the old fella had fish and chips of course, and my young fella had haddock and potatos.

I didn't get too adventurous on the beer side, just a few pints of lager, Stella I think (which was too warm of course).

Making me hungry!

I am in a cook up a storm mood today, got a delivery of fruit and veg from our business today - enough to feed an army...no way we can get through it all before it spoils just using regular methods - so I am thinking cook and freeze. So many things there I can prob cook up some killer pie fillings if I go buy some great meat to go with. Steak and Mushroom, Lamb and mixed Veg, Apple and Peach.

Inspirational. Thanks Mantas!

Mantas, get off the wife beater, thats nasty beer. Actually the UK as a whole doesn't have a good selection of lagers on tap to drink. Mainly the mainstream crap from other countries.....Bud, Miller, Stella, Carlsberg, Henieken. Scotland has Tennants and I think Carling is English but they are not exactly the best. I think the best Brit Beers are the dark ales, I've only really started to enjoy these in the past couple of years.