Originally Posted By: Fattwins
farking hell that is too much!!

Yes it is FT. Family snow holidays here are for the elite or the very dedicated, I'm in the latter. Either way, the slopes are almost always full.
It's ironic that you have a struggling ski industry in japan, practically giving it away, and a monopoly situation in Oz where they are milking it for all it's worth.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mantas

Yes it is FT. Family snow holidays here are for the elite or the very dedicated, I'm in the latter. Either way, the slopes are almost always full.
It's ironic that you have a struggling ski industry in japan, practically giving it away, and a monopoly situation in Oz where they are milking it for all it's worth.

You make a good comparision above. The Aussie impact on the NZ ski industry has also been huge. There's a lot of bitterness among the locals about the state of things (except those who have benefited from the corresponding property boom and business), not that the Aussies should be blamed for that.

One thing I like about skiing in Japan is that it still has a "roots" feeling about it. One day I spent over at San-Osaka this season summed that up for me--laidback, fun and unpretentious. NZ used to be like that many years ago, but I can't imagine it being so now.
 Originally Posted By: tripitaka
 Originally Posted By: Mantas

You make a good comparision above. The Aussie impact on the NZ ski industry has also been huge. There's a lot of bitterness among the locals about the state of things (except those who have benefited from the corresponding property boom and business), not that the Aussies should be blamed for that.

One thing I like about skiing in Japan is that it still has a "roots" feeling about it. One day I spent over at Sanosaka this season summed that up for me--laidback, fun and unpretentious. NZ used to be like that many years ago, but I can't imagine it being so now.

You got to love those lifties over at Sanosaka giving you the thumbs up if you're covered in powder from the last tree run.

Thinking it is all linked to Earthquake in China although Chile volcano was before China earthquake. LUCKY Mt Yotei is dormant couldn't bear for that to come to life!!!!! That would really interfer with my ski plans!!

Skiers and boarders are just as bad as surfers.

If a tropical cyclone is about to hit anywhere in the South Pacific, are we thinking of destruction, devastation, loss of life?.

No we are thinking Surfs UP. \:\)

While relatively infrequent and usually occurring in area's of low density population and building, it is quite possible for Aus to experience signifigant rumbles, our topography suggests this is so - just hasn't been a heap of action in recordable history.

Not that I am predicting any quakes for Aus now...I will leave quake prediction to GG!! The Earth Rumble guru banner ohhhh SJ! No "bow-down-and-worship-him" or "I-am-not-worthy" smilies!!! LOLZ

• 1 month later...

Well guys - dragging this thread up from the archives!

Why?

I am very happy!! groovy

Under the Headline "Thousands without power in Melbourne" I find reports of snow snow and more snow for our previously brown alpine regions. Am I concerned about those sitting in the dark huddled under blankets playing monopoly by candlelight? - not a bit - selfish woman that I am. I am simply thinking that there grows the base for my week of playtime that is now 11 days off!

Papabear and I are finally getting excited that we will be SNOWboarding not SANDboarding! LOL.

The Papa is going back for a boys trip the first weekend in August...and then the following weekend I am hoping to pull together a girls trip. ohhh yeeaaahhh!

I think the only way I'd go back snowboarding in Oz is for the sheer novelty. Even throwing Jetstar flights in, two weeks in Nagano is almost as cheap, if not cheaper, as two weeks in Thredbo (not to mention snow quality).

I make CO2 emissions wherever I go...can't win on that one.

I agree Sara T. For two weeks it is definitely coming close to even - any longer than 2 weeks and you are most definitely better off flying to Japan cost wise. However - what about if you get the opportunity to have a week with the kiddie in July holidays, and a girls weekender in the snow in August ... should I save it for Janaury? If it is choice - yes, absolutely. But when you can do both - why the heck not,eh?

A little middle of the year cobwebs blow out is good for this girls soul.

I am sure mama bear would agree with this. Living on the West coast of Oz, it is actually cheaper for us to fly all the way to NZ for skiing than to ski on the unreliable snow in Oz! I have never been skiing here, never will as I would rather spend a little more $$ (and its not that much more as no kids) and go where there is much better snow and onsens!

I hear what you are saying Dean - and if you have to take just one snow holiday per year then Japan would be the place to do it.

However I quite enjoy hitting the snow in my own country however expensive. I might change my mind as the novelty wears off - but right now I am more than happy to head east for a bit of white play time. Eldest son boarded a week in NZ in mid July last year - tore his board to bits on the exposed rocks and ice. However we did a couples 5 day trip end June to Thredbo, and a whole family(6) x 4 day trip to Thredbo in August and got lovely conditions both times. Some icey days - the landings are nowhere as soft as in Japan - granted. But if you have never been skiing here it must be very hard to accurately judge veryshocked

This Southern winter:

Oldest boys are heading to blizzard blanketted Queenstown with school. (July 12-20)

Mama, Papa and the little bears are heading to Falls Creek for a week. (July 12-20)

Papa is heading to Hotham for a 3 day break with his mates (July 31)

I am heading the Thredbo with the girls for a 3 day break (8 Aug)

I guess that means I don't mind snow in Oz!!

As far as I am concerned a bad day on the snow is better than a good day at work!!! banner

I'll bet you're glad you're going to Thredbo second, not first, Mama Bear. Check out the news story called 'Unreliable snowfalls prompt business rethink' on Page 2 (july 7) at:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video

(apologies for this not being a direct link - I'm getting used to a Mac. What I wouldn't give for a right click)

Along with woeful images of grassy pistes and exhausted snow-making machines, there is some classic archival footage of sixties cats grooving in the chalet by the fire.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

This Southern winter:
Oldest boys are heading to blizzard blanketted Queenstown with school. (July 12-20)
Mama, Papa and the little bears are heading to Falls Creek for a week. (July 12-20)
Papa is heading to Hotham for a 3 day break with his mates (July 31)
I am heading the Thredbo with the girls for a 3 day break (8 Aug)

I guess that means I don't mind snow in Oz!!
As far as I am concerned a bad day on the snow is better than a good day at work!!! banner

Mama, it sound like money is not even a factor for you when selecting when and where to go for your snow holidays. What you've just described above is about equivelent to 1/3 of the average Aussie's annual wage. Your in a good position. I don't care how you got in that position either, weather you worked 20 hours a day or won it on Lotto, that's not my point.
Money is a huge factor for most of us. I live 7 hours drive from the snow feilds and I wont go there anymore because of the high cost. Even though it one of the most beautiful alpine regions in the world and the skiing is not too bad either.

Greeneroom: Finally found the story. Very sound idea's really pushing for year round activities and destination rather than just open for the snow season style business. As for this year - it was a late start to the season, but it was late at the Vic High Country as well as the NSW High Country. Good news is it is snowing now, and there is a blanket of white in all the ski area's. 15cm in the last 24 hrs at Thredbo (which is good for here). From my recollections we are about 2 weeks behind where we were at last year as far as season kick off...if that keeps happening and you miss the school hol's it would be a disaster for the industry in Oz.

Mantas: You are right. Cost is not a major factor, it wasn't always that way and we worked our heinies off for it, and if I had to do one ski trip a year (or one every few years) it would probably be to Japan where the snow is awesome and light and fluffy and deep and reliable. But I am enjoying travelling far and wide and experiencing all the places that we were unable to in the past because we were working all the time.

The cost is making it difficult for families to afford to go to the snow in Australia, and this makes Japan more and more attractive. But the slopes in Aus are still crowded with people, even on a busy day Niseko is quiet compared to Aussie slopes - so the price is a supply and demand issue. We don't have many places we can indulge in snow sports, so those few places are in high demand despite the cost.

I just feel the need to defend the home country a little (- much as I am a BIG HUGE JAPAN SNOW FAN -) as I have never had a bad day on the snow in Oz, a little icey at times, even a little bit patchy at times - but never a bad day.