As one season draws to a close in the Northern Hemisphere things are looking OK for the Southern Hemisphere season with white stuff on the ground in the Snowy Mountains.

Thought I would check the webcams pre-season, and was surprised to see it! A lovely sight it is too!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember back in the mid '90's sometime, I had organised a hiking trip to the Snowies at Easter. Just before we left they had a big early season dump so we took our skis and ended up having an awesome ski trip instead. Above about 1800m we had a cover of around 50cm, not bad for April.

Here's a few stats for ya.

For Thredbo in the Snowy's the stats are:

Vertical Drop: 672 metres

Base Elevation: 1365 metres

Summit Elevation: 2037 metres

For Perisher (arooond the bend):

Mt. Perisher (2,054m)

Mt. Back Perisher (2,014m)

Mt. Piper (1,830m)

Mt. Blue Cow (1,994m)

Rocky Knob (1,900m)

Guthega Peak (1,924m)

Mt. Blue Calf (1,905m)

The recognised natural snow line is at 1,650 metres

Falls Creek:

Adjacent to the stunning Bogong High Plains which forms part of the Alpine National Park, Falls Creek’s village is at 1600 metres above sea level while the resort ranges in elevation from 1210 to 1830m. Snowline at 1,100m.

Hope that helps.

The 1650m snowline I reckon is a little high. Maybe that's an average over the whole season. On SE facing slopes you can generally ski to a lot lower than that.

The highest peak in Aus is 2230m and pokes up above a plateau averaging 1800-2000m. This area known as the Main Range has all of Aus's peaks above 2000m. Have great memories skiing this region.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
The 1650m snowline I reckon is a little high. Maybe that's an average over the whole season. On SE facing slopes you can generally ski to a lot lower than that.

Hmmm....these ar taken from the official website for each resort, but I must admit to being a bit surprised that the officially recognised snowline for Falls was so much lower than for Perisher/Thredbo area. And the snow line clearly changes radically for day to day/ week to week - perhaps that is the line at which there is naturally fallen snow for the entire recognised season?

wakaranai.gif
  • 1 month later...

Pretty crap actually!

The 28th of April saw a nice dump, but nothing since then and it has all disappeared. :-(

Better get itself sorted - I am heading that way in 8 weeks! And I would like something to ride, please, ohhhh snow god!

....about as far away from it as is possible iiyamadude!

I have been checking webcams regularly and giving regular offerings to the snow god ..lol. The papabear was recovering from an ACL repair in January for our Niseko trip so we are both really excited about being able to ride together in July. Big kids going to NZ with a school group, little kids booked into snowboard school...that just leaves me and my better half to spend the days cruising with each other - gotta be happy with that.

....one concern I have is that he is playing Rugby in Phuket at the end of this month (how he snapped his ACL), but there is a silver lining if does injure himself - he will just have to hire me a very sexy young male snowboard instructor to hang with instead!! LOL!

Funny GN!

ummm...coz I live in Aus?

I do agree - the conditions in Japan are amazing....and it is a completely different experience in Aus.

BUT>

I am at that stage in my life when our travel is completley dictated by the kids school holidays, so we can go away for x number of days or weeks at specified times. YES, we did spend almost the entire of Jan in Japan this year, and plans are in the works for a full January vacation in snow again this coming year. However a week in July on top of that is better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.

Also>

We are fairly new at this. And as beginners in the sport we are very keen to keep the momentum and learing curve going - 12 months between snow trips might be fine for those for whom it is like riding a bike - but for one acquiring those skills a more frequent series of trips seems to be helping us improve quite rapidly (for oldies). Hence last year we did Jan, April(my first), June and August. June was just Papa and I (kids stayed with Nanna), and August was on a 4 day break from school - we sneaked an extra day. I also found that by learning to board in less forgiving conditions (despite the fact that I was BLACK AND BLUE) I learnt how to keep my balance pretty quick. As my instructor in Thredbo said - "If you can ride this, you can ride anything anywhere." Of course he was refering to the conditions rather than the slope/difficulty etc. But I did find that upon my return to the fluffy soft POW in Niseko that I was MUCH more daring than I thought I would be, and the learning I had behind me stood me in good stead.

So yes...GN ... you got the best stuff...and Japan has not seen the last of me, but the choice is not one or the other - it is a little bit of this and a bit more of that! ;-)

Originally Posted By: tripitaka
Ruapehu in NZ is looking at a June 14th opening. I will be there in August but at $83 for a lift pass, it's going to be tough to get me on the mountain!!

Is that $83 NZ Trip? If so, it's still way cheaper than Oz at $97 Aus. (about $110 NZ)
 Originally Posted By: Mantas
 Originally Posted By: tripitaka
Ruapehu in NZ is looking at a June 14th opening. I will be there in August but at $83 for a lift pass, it's going to be tough to get me on the mountain!!

Is that $83 NZ Trip? If so, it's still way cheaper than Oz at $97 Aus. (about $110 NZ)

83 Kiwi. BB, it's noth that bad a mountain, but not at that price. You notice that these NZ skifields hype the "activities" and "services", not the actual snow and/or terrrain. What do you get though? A latte with lunch?

I'd love to support our local ski fields but.... jeeeeeeeez... they sting you bad.

last season I went twice. once with the boys \:\) and once with the family.

I'll break down the cost of a days skiing with the family.

lift ticket wife and I =$194

lift ticket + ski lessons 2 kids = $240

National park fee = $35

Kids ski hire ( new sizes every year) =$90

Snacks =$30

Total $589 per day

The snow was good but not that good.

A day on Happo

Lift ticket 2 adults (spring discount)= $66

kids lift ticket=$free

Meals (not snacks)=$30

kids ski hire=$48

Total $144 per day

The only difference being the ski lessons for the kids, oh, and about 400m extra vert.

It is a lot. But it does show how desperate we Aussies are for a bit of a run on the snow.

Now if I lived next door to FT, or GN or one of you other lucky powderhounds I would be getting my annual fix during the annual local snow season at great prices and be satisfied with that. But I don't, and no - we are not in a position to sell up and relocate - but we are in a position to holiday whereever and whenever we can - and obviously - when you realise the accomodation at many of these resorts is SOLD OUT for the week we are going - there are enough other people out there who think the same.

Doesn't mean we don't know January will be cheaper and better ;\)