We just returned from our first trip to Japan and are totally addicted and have already booked our trip for next year.

I wish I had discovered it 5 years ago as I think it will only get busier and busier as the word gets out.

The skiing was AWESOME - The food was AWESOME and The people were AWESOME.

We went to Niseko - The best thing (apart from the wide open runs) was that you could ski between the 3 resorts and even on the busiest day the cues moved nice and quickly because of the their scanning system and the runs didn't get over crowded.

We had great weather and had a couple of good dumps of snow. Although next year we are planning for mid February to experience the ultra deep snow.

God how could you be disappointed We skied nearly everday (couple of days sightseeing) and I still managed to put weight on because the food was so great. We like to go to Canada but the flight is to long and it works out an expensive trip so we were throwing New Zealand in every second year. NO MORE it is Japan all the way.

My only disappointment was we went to dinner at a traditional japanese sit down restuarant and had a great night and meal and when we went to leave someone had taken my shoes and left me with a very cheap 2 sizes to small pair (that will teach me for only taking one pair).

Originally Posted By: snowhunter

My only disappointment was we went to dinner at a traditional japanese sit down restuarant and had a great night and meal and when we went to leave someone had taken my shoes and left me with a very cheap 2 sizes to small pair (that will teach me for only taking one pair).

A lot more crime in Niseko these days, with all the bloody Aussies. ;\) ;\)

In all the years I've been here I never waer the communial slippers, as all too small to fit my feet anyway, but yes I understand sharing slippers is not a good thing, but oh well they do it here.

I like the slippers for some reason- seems strange that your shoes got ninjaed - The only other thing is people like you are killing the industry in NZ - there is a noticeable decline in the number of skippys visiting the S Island and Japan - Hirafu in partcular is a big reason for that

Well if things go well for you you can do both, but having Northern and Southern Hemi winters you can also get two time periods where you can indulge - sometimes Dec-March is impossible! Or the other way.

I know Koko wont be ski-ing in Oz this year, and my hubby had to pass on the POW in Niseko in Jan while his knee healed - but he gets another bite at the cherry this Aussie winter. Sure not the same POW conditions - but it is better than nix!

Originally Posted By: boardbaka
I like the slippers for some reason- seems strange that your shoes got ninjaed - The only other thing is people like you are killing the industry in NZ - there is a noticeable decline in the number of skippys visiting the S Island and Japan - Hirafu in partcular is a big reason for that

I was under the impression that they were getting record numbers of "skippies", (or shackle draggers or whatever you want to call our friendly neighbours)in Queenstown last season and numbers are growing.

I would rather go to japan.

LOL!

"Skippies" comes from the fact that there was a TV show in the 60's/70's called "Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo" - roo's are called skippy, so Aussies get skippy, skip or skippies as well.

Shackle draggers - from being the descendents of English convicts. (Great!)

I watched reruns of that show on TV in the States! The Dad used to have a Toyota FJ-55 Land Cruiser, but later got burdened with some crappy Jeep Wagoneer or something. Do 'roos actually make that clicking/smacking sound, or is that just for TV?

I've never heard them make it. Not that they are jumping down the main street mind you. I have only encountered the odd roo in the wild, usually out of the corner of my eye on a country drive where your heart beats MUCH faster knowing they can be totally unpredictable and jump right in front of moving vehicles.

Most contact has been in wildlife parks (often with a Japanese exchange student) and I have never heard them make it. Must be SOME truth in it, but I suspect it is a lot like how exaggeratted the 'talking' of "flipper" is...

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I've never heard them make it. Not that they are jumping down the main street mind you. I have only encountered the odd roo in the wild, usually out of the corner of my eye on a country drive where your heart beats MUCH faster knowing they can be totally unpredictable and jump right in front of moving vehicles.

Most contact has been in wildlife parks (often with a Japanese exchange student) and I have never heard them make it. Must be SOME truth in it, but I suspect it is a lot like how exaggeratted the 'talking' of "flipper" is...

what, flipper can't really talk!??!!?? cry.gif

Saw a lot of roos when I was in Oz both wild and in zoo's. The best roo is a dead roo that has been cooked medium rare and is lying on your plate!! mmmmm cool.gif
 Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
I watched reruns of that show on TV in the States! Do 'roos actually make that clicking/smacking sound, or is that just for TV?

Of course they do! And a trained ear can interperate what they say. They can also rescue people trapped in a ravine with a broken leg, using a coil of rope. ...Amazing creatures ;\)

Stolen shoes? sounds like the start of 'Hound of the Baskervilles'

Anyway, you were obvoiusly not affected by ghostly killer dogs during your time in Niseko, always a good start...

...perhaps now you understand why some of us are daft enough to live in this crazy land!