shouldn't there be a law forcing gas stations to post prices. Imagine walking into a store, choosing something & taking it to the counter to be told the price as you were paying????

I went around asking in the police station about that and they didn't know. They told me to go and ask at a gas station because they know better the laws involved with gas trading. I asked at a place near my house and they said that theres is no law enforcing high or low limits in the gas price, but usually there is a "gentlemen agreement" between the gas stations at each area about the prices. They also told me that if I want to know whether I was riped off or not better ask a gas station close to where I paid 190 yen/lt. Go figure...

Annoying thing was that the stations were slow to reduce the prices due their comment

'we bought the oil at higher prices before the price came down so we'll sell it at the price we bought it at to make a nice profit'

yet when the government whacked the price up - EVERY station went up on the stroke of midnight. I for one will laugh at these companies when the people they need for their business desert them.