I entered the SJ Giveaway for the Niseko Higashiyama stay thinking it would be a good chance to take a look at the place since my last visit in 2005 and even if I didn't win, I'd be there to take a look anyway. Much to my surprise I won it and was notified on CNY day. What a New Year present.

We traveled mid March, into Sapporo and two and a half hour coach ride into Niseko.

Entering the hotel, I noticed it had gotten a lot brighter than before, thanks to the lobby café lighting. Nice intro for things to come.

thursday_17.jpg

Looking around, I got into the gondola at the first chance. Mental note: “can’t beat this for ski in/out”

thursday_16.jpg

Going up gave a nice view of the hotel. This is the “New Wing” Tower part.

thursday_11.jpg

thursday_15.jpg

thursday_13.jpg

thursday_14.jpg

And at top, access to the Hirafu other areas is just a short walk, or you can take the Wonderland chair to the top.

Familiar scenery?

thursday_26.jpg

thursday_23.jpg

thursday_22.jpg

Have a lie down

Back at base

thursday_18.jpg

Pleasantly surprised to see a huge selection of wines, about 150 choices and loads of beer. Just seeing all these Champagnes makes you feel like a kid in a candy store or a binger in a brewery.

Rocking up to the bar on the first floor, there’s a crash area to fill up and top up. Internet, pool, darts, crash cushions. Good to rest and catch up on the SJ Forums.

thursday_19.jpg

thursday_20.jpg

And for something a little different, try one of these.

thursday_21.jpg

In all a huge improvement on my last visit. The new bar brings an altogether more relaxed feel. The 80's "nostalgia" has gone, even the blue suits of the restaurant waiters seem more up to date.

I noticed quite a few British visitors too. Perhaps the Inghams trail has helped bring more from the UK.

The facilities we were pleased to notice was the kid's club. Full day creche or half day, plenty for the kids to do in their own funland and even night owl club so us parents can have some cosy evenings. Come next year, it will be time for our baby to write that review.

From summer 2008, Hilton will be running the hotel as a Hilton International Resort. All the more to see come Winter.

Many thanks to Niseko Higashiyama Resort for putting up the prize and many thanks to SnowJapan for holding the giveaway. May there be many more.

I took a quick look myself and had similar feelings thursday. The changes are good and they seem intent on making a lot more. It is all good.

xxx, as the mountain is linked up you can ski /board on all of Niseko wherever you start off. Hirafu is the most liveliest, but some people don't want all that.

I haven't been to the the Prince Higashiyama for quite a few years now but one thing I still remember is that they had the best ski locker romms of all the hotels (in the world) I have ever visited. It was bright, spacious, clean and well-ventillated with good sized lockers. I hope it's still like that there.

I'd say yes that's about right as the Higashiyama is a resort and you can do all sorts of stuff from the hotel, horse riding, snowmobile, kid's camp. Houses are being built very near it but no signs of night life outside the hotel just yet.

Damn good lockers too.