it's safe as all respectable establishments will tell you.

Japan is more volcanic rock than cretaceus, it's therefore soft. But let the geophysicists or more able skiers confirm or dispell that.

It's completely safe to drink (just in case you're unsure, this isn't a 3rd world country).

The hard or soft question...I have to ask, why on earth would you want or need to know this? I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, just can't think of one myself.

Hard water can taste nasty...soft water is generally not. That has been my experience anyway.

I have heard people complain about the water in Japan not because of the water itself but the pipes it runs through - but in my personal experience it is sweeter than Perth tap water - perfectly fine. And the Niseko water from the taps in my accomodation was probably tastier, fresher and just downright better than any bottled water I have drunk anywhere in the world.

I use a Britta filter, dont like the taste of the water here.

Its better than London though, that water tastes absolutely disgusting, and it is so soft in the shower it takes hours to rinse the soap off.

London water.

From an educational site visit to a Thames water works years back, the inspector told us that by the time it gets to your tap in a London Borough, the water would've been through 7 people. Nice.

I suppose it would be 10 people now.

yeh the water up north is great, The only place I have been able to drink water straight from the tap in my adult life was when I spent 2 years in Durham.