Did you work when you were a student?

Originally Posted By: Ewok 2
cake factory, osushi-ya-san, and campaigns smile.gif

CAKE! I'd have eaten all the cakes and gotten fired! lol.gif

I had an on-campus job during university - teaching English to foreign students... go figure.

Mamabear,

These kids dunno what work really is ... a bit of "after hours" employment is OK, as far as it goes!

My partner is currently working a full tim - quite pressured - job and completing her degree in the evenings and weekends. As well as that, she does a fair amount in the olive grove as well as continuing to owner-build our home.

now, THAT is working while studying!

Originally Posted By: JA
Mamabear,
These kids dunno what work really is ... a bit of "after hours" employment is OK, as far as it goes!

My partner is currently working a full tim - quite pressured - job and completing her degree in the evenings and weekends. As well as that, she does a fair amount in the olive grove as well as continuing to owner-build our home.

now, THAT is working while studying!

House???? You were lucky. There was 26 of us living in a shoe box in the middle of the road.
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
;\)
 Originally Posted By: Mantas
House???? You were lucky. There was 26 of us living in a shoe box in the middle of the road.
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
;\)

You forgot having to walk 20km to school every day,in the rain/snow/sun/typhoon, uphill both ways! lol.gif

In defence of thier stories, many of them lived through WW2 (my grandparents did) and even WW1 (my G-Grandmother had some amazing stories from back then), and while they sounded implausible to us - probably were true!!

Things change in a short space of time. My Mum is 59, and one of her 'jobs' as a kid was to strip the feathers off the newly slaughtered chicken on a Sunday for the roast. My kids complain if I send them to the freezer to grab the chicken fillets!

Mama,

Your mum 'n' I share a birth year! The job I had was to catch the blardy chook and behead it with my trusty hatchet. Then my younger sister (by 3 years) had the plucking and gutting job! I think I had the easiest one (apart from the exhausting chase around the yard to catch it!)

I trapped rabbits during my school days, skinning them and selling the skins (dried) for pocket money and keeping the carcases as "underground chicken" to eat. Sometimes, when we had a glut I'd sell the bodies to the freezer man who came around once a week to collect. (We'd be taking up mum's freezer space all week!)

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
 Originally Posted By: Mantas

;\)

You forgot having to walk 20km to school every day,in the rain/snow/sun/typhoon, uphill both ways! lol.gif

nah it was the old days so it would've surely been 20 miles
;\)

Yeah, sure tubbs, get over it!

The question was about working while studying. The premise being that if you didn't you were somehow bludging.

Simply put, full time students have up to 26 hours of lectures/tutorials a week. The rest of the time is "free" for them to study, drink, work etc. That some choose to work for part of that time is commendable, but it should not be used as a mark of "superiority". Nor should it be compared to those who work full time and study part-time.

For external and part time students, the balance is totally the other way. They have a full time job (which implies 40 hours at employment) which time has priority over the study time.

Originally Posted By: JA
Yeah, sure tubbs, get over it!

The question was about working while studying. The premise being that if you didn't you were somehow bludging.

Simply put, full time students have up to 26 hours of lectures/tutorials a week. The rest of the time is "free" for them to study, drink, work etc. That some choose to work for part of that time is commendable, but it should not be used as a mark of "superiority". Nor should it be compared to those who work full time and study part-time.

For external and part time students, the balance is totally the other way. They have a full time job (which implies 40 hours at employment) which time has priority over the study time.

ooooh look who's on their period today!!
I am able to read and understand written words so I did manage to scrape an understanding of the thread, but cheers for the recap!!

Yeah, tuff when you don't have to pay rent/mortgage, buy food, pay electricity etc accounts and all the cash you earn can be spent on yourself (beer etc).

Life's so easy when you have to use the money you earn to survive as well as pay for the education tuition, texts etc. N O T !!