Did you work when you were a student?

I am a student now and I want to enjoy my free time. But I don't have much money. But I need money to do many things (not all of course). I am considering getting some kind of job, but don't really want to as then I will have less time also.

Did you work when you were at college?

yep, i always worked when i was at uni - i liked having money to do stuff and travel. i worked 20-30 hours a week.

didn't go to all my classes cos i couldn't be arsed and still managed to get through uni with no problems. then again, my grades were nothing spectacular.

Same here spook!

I worked from Yr 10 (15yrs old) onwards in one capacity or another. In 3rd year Uni it looked kinda like this:

I worked 4 days a week (Th, Fri, Sat and Sun) serving icecreams to snotty nosed kids in Subi for $6 an hour (it was back in the days of high unemployment - so I was not fussy!).

The lectures I missed at Uni on Thursday and Friday I listened to on tape in the library in between classes Mon-Wed. I scheduled all my tutorials and lab groups for Mon - Wed.

I also studied Mon Night and Wednesday night at Tafe for my Sign Language interpreters accreditation. Caught the bus from Uni to Tafe, and got then boyfriend, now hubby to pick me up at 9.30pm (it was Northbridge - bit dodgy at night).

I also planned my wedding, participated in a Uni Theatre production, and had a pretty active social life.

You're young - you can do it!

I must admit, my kids, and thier peers seem a lot more relectant to give up thier social time to earn cash - I worry that they are just not going to have the same drive and passion for success that we did.

I think it's important that kids work for their money.

I started when I was 10 doing the local paper round, the butcher shop, then progressing to Pizza.

My parents didn't let me go without, but if I wanted something outside of the essentials then I had to fo it myself!

My first Scott bars took me about 15 weeks to save for \:o

I was a graduate student till last month here in Japan and was doing part time jobs all the time.

You have to apply for part time job work permit through your Uni if you want to start working. As undergrad I think you are allowed to work 32 hours a week and at summer holidays full time 8 hours a day.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
lol.gif My bike shop gave them to me for free :p \:D Got a J-disc and tri-spoke for free too clap.gif
...those were the days eh?

That was b4 the days of the sponno gear. Those and my Looks pedals were about the only things I had to buy! (but still took too long for a 12-14 year old to save for!)

yeah, theyre insane still. Going home this summer and wanna get a road bike but...money. Cant drop it on a road bike after just getting my mtn.bike. will get some saddle time on that first...but where I live the roads are just sweet for riding - decisions decisions... Id love to have a brand new carbon frame/fork some sick mavic bladed/disc rims to boot...sexy bike eh. Where ya heading to back in Oz again?

Originally Posted By: Indo
I think it's important that kids work for their money.
I started when I was 10 doing the local paper round, the butcher shop, then progressing to Pizza.
My parents didn't let me go without, but if I wanted something outside of the essentials then I had to fo it myself!
My first Scott bars took me about 15 weeks to save for \:o

Pretty standard really...

I took almost the exact same path indo! Paper run, milk truck, pizza shop, then Myers through uni. Parents gave me what I needed, and I bought what I wanted thumbsup.gif

I worked from the age of 15 in various jobs, started as a paper boy at 15,saturday boy in my dad's kitchen and bathroom showroom, worked in Toys R Us, B&Q, did promo work, worked in a bar, worked as a labourer during summer hols, worked in a Petrol Station. Government were kind to me as well, but I went on holiday every year with that money!! \:D

Pretty much worked non-stop for 13 years now

Of course, I have never stopped learning!

While I was enrolled in a Grad Dip, I was working fulltime and studying after work. Straight out of High School, I was employed as a trainee metallurgist, working 4 days a week and attending tech (Technical College) one day and 3 nights a week for 4 years!

The "did you work while you were a student" question is a crock! If you didn't work full time while studying part time, you have no idea what work really is! Don't expect me to feel sorry for you!

Yep- Paper run and then Mc Donalds lol.gif (a weird pattern forming here). Started my apprenticeship at age 16. Working four days a week, one day at tech.

On the Tri scene.

We had hardly any sponsorship from the Tri industry, it mostly came from other local business. It's really hard to get any cred as a female athlete. If a local race was televised, they would usually make mention of the mens, first, second and third place but not a word about the females. . She used to clean up on the prizes though.

Originally Posted By: JA
Of course, I have never stopped learning!

While I was enrolled in a Grad Dip, I was working fulltime and studying after work. Straight out of High School, I was employed as a trainee metallurgist, working 4 days a week and attending tech (Technical College) one day and 3 nights a week for 4 years!

The "did you work while you were a student" question is a crock! If you didn't work full time while studying part time, you have no idea what work really is! Don't expect me to feel sorry for you!

lol.gif

I still think it was harder studying fulltime at Uni with one ADD child in early primary, a second in half day kindy, a toddler who wrung his hands at the door as you waved goodbye (who was still being breastfed through the night) and then by the last half of the year suffering through early pregnancy!

I had to laugh the day I stayed up all night finishing an assignment because my computer crashed and I had to sort out an alternative - was failing fast due to rapidly worsening mastitis but still managed to get that assignment to the lecturer on time. Just as I was thanking the teacher for understanding why I was not staying for the class, but going to get antibiotics instead a young student came to the desk crying, saying she couldn't possibly hand her assignment in, and needed amn extension because she has had an argument with her boyfriend.

I just laughed!

No. I didn't work as a student as it was not what my parents sent me to uni for.

I spent countless hours in the union bar working my drinking arm. That is what uni is for. And practising past papers, all of them, will give you the exam marks. Easy. So sad that so many "students" studied so hard.

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
Yeah, worked at a sushi bar for my last two years during Uni.

How heart wrenching for you to deal with the flesh of the sea and not being inclined to taste just a little. Nah..., probably those were your meat days.