They are still haveing problems

at T5

Last Updated: Thursday, 27 March 2008, 20:36 GMT

- Search: Heathrow Terminal 5

Baggage check-in suspended on disastrous first day for Heathrow's T5Airport chiefs have apologised to passengers after a disastrous opening day for Heathrow's flagship £4.3 billion Terminal 5 ended with British Airways having to suspend all baggage check-in at the new facility.

The decision, taken after a series of problems had wrecked what should have been a landmark day at the west London airport, meant travellers could only fly with carry-on hand luggage.

It completed what had been an utterly miserable few hours for many passengers, for BA and for BAA, the airport operator, with BA having to cancel 34 flights.

In a statement, BAA said: "Given the scale of the challenge over the last 48 hours, it was inevitable that we would face some difficulties. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to passengers and are working tirelessly with British Airways to resolve these issues as quickly as possible."

Related Links

Heathrow Airport

Have Your Say

Join the UK news debate on our message boards

After a good start to the day, with the first flight arriving eight minutes early and no luggage delays, problems accumulated. First, staff had problems with the car park, then a computer problem led to some departing flights having to leave with no luggage aboard.

Downstairs in the giant building, passengers off the first Hong Kong flight all got their bags in quick time. But soon it was clear there were major problems with baggage reclaim, with some passengers having to wait as long as two-and-a-half hours to collect their cases. By lunch time the knock-on effect of all the problems led BA to cancel 20 flights - a figure which later increased to 34.

Then at around 5pm, BA decided to suspend the checking in of all luggage going into the hold. This left passengers already at the airport with the choice of either flying with just hand luggage, getting an alternative flight or getting their money back.

The Department for Transport said: "We expect British Airways and BAA to work hard to resolve these issues and limit disruption to passengers."

BA said: "British Airways flights from Heathrow Terminal 5 will depart with hand baggage only with immediate effect due to problems associated with processing customers' baggage. BAA and British Airways are advising customers to check-in at Terminal 5 with hand baggage only if they wish to travel (on Thursday) night or to telephone the airline for a refund or to rebook. Customers already at Terminal 5 who have not yet checked-in can travel with hand baggage only, rebook their travel plans or receive a refund."

""BA apologises to customers for the problems during Terminal 5's first day of operations following one of the most complex and largest airport moves in history. Customers can telephone 0800 727800 or check ba.com for the latest information. Customers departing from Heathrow Terminal 1 and Terminal 4 should check-in as normal."

Post: del.icio.us Digg Netscape Newsvine Now Public MORE ON AOL: Chat & Community | Dating | Eleven | Entertainment | Games | Homes & Property | Horoscopes | Kids | Lifestyle | Money | Motoring | Music | News | Shopping | Sport | Teens | Travel | Video | Women | Help | AOL UK Homepage Blog

About AOL | Contact | Terms of Use - updated 01/02/07 | Privacy Policy - updated 01/02/07 | News Sitemap | Sitemap | Archive | Advertising Contact | Affiliate Programme | International

Get the latest breaking stories from the UK and around the world on AOL. From local news to international current affairs, find out and have your say on the events that matter.

© AOL (UK) Limited its affiliates and licensors

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol.gif

Oh dear. You've got to laugh. (Unless affected by it of course!)

Quote:
More than an hour after suspending baggage check-in, BA issued advice to passengers telling them to turn up only with hand luggage.

I'd thought they'd take a leaf outta the book from the opening of Changi, KL, Chek Lap Kok, etc. All had major hassles with computers in the first week.

What happened to their soft opening testing?

I'd like to see the stuff in that building but I'd be damned if I fly BA.

That is appalling!

I am watching it all on the news atm...heeelllloooo...this is Terminal 5...have they not learnt procedures in the other terminals that can translate to this one?

I am bamboozeled as to how hard it can be!

Quote:
By last night just one of the terminal's 18 passenger lifts was working and the chaos - officially described as "teething problems" - will continue today.

lol.gif

17 passenger lifts broken on the first day?

"Passengers' misery was compounded by the presence of several hundred anti-aviation protesters, who milled about the terminal forming the occasional conga which snaked around the cavernous building."

what??? lol.gif

The director of operations came out and said they would soon have these 'short term' problems fixed. Seems like NOTHING was working there - clown. Sounds like they didnt test very much at all.

Quote:
One baggage handler said it was "a shambles the moment the doors opened".

Actually, it is quite difficult to believe that it could all go so wrong. I'm sure it is all very complex, but isn't this their business? What a joke.

lol.gif Doesn't sound like it is getting any better.

Quote:
At least 15,000 bags are stranded at Heathrow airport after a third day of cancellations at the new Terminal 5.

Isn't it usually the passengers who are stranded?!

Get ready to expose! Might be a good idea to not put anything you need for a week in the hold luggage. ;\)

I hope you are going up north... that's where the decent pies are.

an England tour must not go without:

- pickled onions

- pickled eggs

- huge donner kebabs

- salt n vinegar soaked cod and chips

- nookie brown

- courage pride

- pork pies

- scotch eggs

- haggis flavour crisps

more culinary tour suggestions welcomed.

From the BBC

Quote:
Thousands of suitcases are being sent to Milan by British Airways from Heathrow Terminal 5 to try and help sort out the backlog of 19,000 bags.

More than 400 volunteers are already working at the £4.3bn terminal to deal with the pile of garbage, er, baggage.

Now some is being sent to a courier firm in Milan to be sorted and either driven or flown to owners.

BA said it was "quicker for bags with European mainland addresses to go to Milan for sorting".

Originally Posted By: scouser
Get ready to expose! Might be a good idea to not put anything you need for a week in the hold luggage. ;\)

I hope you are going up north... that's where the decent pies are.

Originally I meant `expose` figuratively, but on reflection it could well end up being litterally.
 Originally Posted By: thursday.
an England tour must not go without:

- pickled onions
- pickled eggs
- huge donner kebabs
- salt n vinegar soaked cod and chips
- nookie brown
- courage pride
- pork pies
- scotch eggs
- haggis flavour crisps

more culinary tour suggestions welcomed.

Nookie brown? Not sure my wife would let me have my way with a dark skinned lady.