Month long stay in Niseko Jan 09,

Hello folks, i'm new to this website and it's my first post.

Reet, myself and my lass are planning to have a months snowboarding Jan 09 in Niseko before moving on for another 5 months travelling in Oz etc.

I know i could probably find what i am looking for in the site but i would like to hear from people that might have done something similar or know the area.

Can anyone recommend a hostel etc in the Niseko area close to the main town, bars restaurants shops, that cater for month long stays ?

Obviously cost is a factor as we will be on our travels for 6 months, so is this going to cost us a fortune over a months stay ?

Also would it be possible to courier our snowboard bag full of kit back to the UK on our departure from Japan ? Has anyone done this ?

I've got a few more questions but that will do for a start.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can pass on my way.

Cheers Chris

dunno about the hotel's etc but I'm pretty sure that you'll find one no probs have a look on the Places to stay section here. You can courier your stuff back but I'd imagine it'll cost a bit, there are loads of places here similar to DHL etc but I reckon the regular Post Office would be your best bet. Not sure about prices though but like I said I don't think its gonna be cheap.

Might not be cheap but it might be worth it.

Consider that I had to pay AU$500 (Just shy of Y50,000) in excess baggage to go home this last trip...if you are dragging your kit with you on your travels and getting hit with excess baggage again and again - could be V V V V V expensive.

I would check out the PO, but I doubt they would give the better rates/conditions. An international courier is much more likely do be able to do the job for you. Don't know any in Japan though. Maybe the local boys can clue you in.

In your case, it might be better to take your boots (as rental boots are the pitts!) and rent skis/boards for the short time in Japan.

I am no expert in this, as we took our skis, boots etc and freighted them (using Takkyubin) to our accommodation while we did the ourist thing around Sapporo. But, it seems tomake sense. Especially as you are unlikely to be in Oz for the ski season too!

Even if you are in Oz for an early ski season slide, it might be worthwhile renting skis for the amount of use you'll get from them.

(BTW when in Oz, drop me a PM, I might be able to help with some stuff)

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Consider that I had to pay AU$500 (Just shy of Y50,000) in excess baggage to go home this last trip...if you are dragging your kit with you on your travels and getting hit with excess baggage again and again - could be V V V V V expensive.
I would check out the PO, but I doubt they would give the better rates/conditions. An international courier is much more likely do be able to do the job for you. Don't know any in Japan though. Maybe the local boys can clue you in.

if you contact the airline direct BEFORE you get to the airport you can arrange excess baggage for a flat fee. When I came out here I paid 50 pound and the weight of the bag didn't come into it

Cheers for the replies folks.

I did really want to spend the season in Japan but my lass snapped and dislocated her wirst when we were in Austria 6 weeks ago, so she isn't too keen on spending all of our time snowboarding or for that matter any of our time on the snow !! I need to snowboard for more than 2 weeks, and i don't think a month is too long.

Just hoping my lasses wrist will heal ok, it's not looking too good at the mo.

• 3 weeks later...

You can check out lodge bamboo in hirafu, good prices, nice clean and quiet at nights. Give them a shout about prices for a month.

I sent my boardbag fully loaded with pants and jackets, and my board from niseko to tokyo for £7.50 and it was waiting at our hotel 2days later. I assume it will be alot more to send it international, but still, it will remove alot of hassle and the postal service seems flawless in J-land.

Al i've just read your other post !!

Well well sounds like you had a ball.

Just got the ok for a 6 month sabbatical from work starting in Jan 09

so i've now got to get planning, persuade my lass or dump her - harsh after 5 yrs maybe but Japan is got to be top of my list.

I'm sneaking off to Morzine for a last sniff of the snow next Friday, lets hope it sticks around for me.

I'll be picking your brain for more info soon, hope you don't mind ?!!

Cheers.

Originally Posted By: wallas
Al i've just read your other post !!

Well well sounds like you had a ball.

Just got the ok for a 6 month sabbatical from work starting in Jan 09
so i've now got to get planning, persuade my lass or dump her - harsh after 5 yrs maybe but Japan is got to be top of my list.

lol.gif quality mate, quality!!

Aye, had an amazing time. Feel free to ask anything. I can recommend things I did, but i didnt even scratch the surface. If you are spending a month in Hirafu then you dont even need to bother with Aus, just spend the next 5 months touring Japan, Hirafu is JapAus!!

• 5 months later...

Just an update on my plans.

My flights are booked, leave on 28th Dec fly to Bangkok spend just over 2 weeks in Thailand, fly to Tokyo 4 nights in Andon Ryokan then onto Hakuba, need to sort my digs out. I've got 3 months in Japan to travel around, Hakuba probably up to Niseko, Kyoto etc then i fly to Sydney spend some time in Oz then to LA then home.

Six months in all and my lass is not coming with me !!

The countdown has begun, it can't come soon enough.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

If you fly BA You can take a ski bag free as well as your normal bag. you can have that weigh 23 kg,s as well.
  • 3 months later...

Hey Wallas / Chris,

I'm currently in Thailand, I've been here for nearly 2 months now rock climbing in railey near krabi. I'm thinking of going to Japan at the end of Jan for 4-8 weeks boarding, then on to Oz, NZ, S.america and then USA.

Sounds like we have Vaguely similar plans? I was just wondering where in Japan you're going, how much it's costing etc? Sorry I haven't really had time to do that much research and what I have looked at the cost has scared me.

Any info much appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Paul,

sorry it's took so long to reply, i haven't been on here too much.

I'm still in bangkok, and probably will be until 28th Jan maybe longer, if you're in bangkok let me know i've run out of drinking partners !! i'm going to Hakuba and staying at Tabi-Tabi Lodge, i think i am paying 60,000 yen a month. my season on the snow has taken a twist as i've broken my hand in thailand and i'm in for surgery on it later this evening.

i was supposed to be in japan now but i've had to put my back my plans for 2 weeks, i'll find out more tomorrow, hopefully my op will go well. my doc has said snowboarding this season is a big no no, but i'm not giving up yet !!

good luck with your travels, if your in bangkok and fancy a chang let me know, maybe i'll catch up with you on the snow.

cheers,

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris,

I'm still in Thailand. I will be in Bangkok around the 10th Feb and then planning on going to Japan around 15th-20th. Looking at prices for flights, lift pass and accomodation again and a bit scared by it all compared to the price of my bungalow here. How

s your hand and what's your plan?

Hello Paul, I'm in Koh Phangan at the moment, met up with some friends from back home, off to Samui Thursday for 2 days then back to Bangkok, hospital aapointment on the 8th and then again i think back to hospital to get my cast off around the 24th. I stay in a hotel down Sukhumvit Soi 11 in Bangkok, my mates travel up on the 9th/10th for a couple of nights out then they are off up North, i'll stay in Bangkok till 13th and then down to Samui or Koh Phangan again before hopefully my last trip to hospital. Planning on getting to Tokyo around the beginning of March.

Maybe meet up for a beer in Bangkok.

Chris.