I was wondering if any of the many members on SJ have experienced Whistler at the end of April? One of the lads I am working with asked me on Friday if I would be interested in going for a week (just before the golden week hols) and I said I would. Has anyone ever skiied that late in Whistler? If so what should I expect? Any tips or hints would be appreciated!

\:\)

PS weather in Hakuba was perfect today! What a great day.

I think it was about mid-april that we were there. it was typical spring type skiing with a fast melting snow base. The snow at 900m to the top was still great. It snowed up there most days, usually just a few cm.

A big bonus for us was a late storm just before we left. It dumped 40cm in 24 hours and snowed right down to the village, much to the disgust of the locals who just cleared all the snow ready for spring BBQ's.

A lot of things were also quite a bit cheaper at that time of year.

was there until may in 2005 and there was still good stuff to be had, even some big late dumps at end of april and start of may. might have to go high as the runs into resort can be patchy, but that's not really an issue. blackcomb will also probs be closed by then, so will likely just be whistler mountain open.

if you get bored, can always spark up a bbq down by one of the lakes - good times ;\)

dont they alturnate which mountain stays open and which one closes early? If you like park then hope that its blackcomb that stays open as they have the good park built there.

Had friends visit us in whistler in early may and we got some fresh snow during thier visit. I would go expecting spring skiing but prepared for pow just incase.

Originally Posted By: johan

if you get bored, can always spark up a spliff down by one of the lakes - good times ;\)

hey I know its Canada but I didn't realise it was THAT laid back!! ;\)

you'll likely get spring conditions and a random pow storm. Alpine is usually still fun and mogully. But this winter has been kinda dry for snow and rocky so who knows what it will look like. Backcountry is good, park is good and people are very happy when its sunny. Girls like to wear less and less clothes when its sunny in the village... if you like to apres it a great time of the year

I am usually there over the Good Friday-Easter Monday weekend and except for that really snowless winter several seasaons back, it's usually still OK at that time of year. If you luck out, there may even be some fresh snow, depending on the weather patterns (maybe not this year, but probably next).

Thanks for the information! I like the auld spring skiing. So I think from that point it is ok! As long as there is snow I will be happy! Now to looking at flights and costs. Thanks for the tips.

For good, inexpensive accomodation, try the Holiday Inn Sunspree - it's reasonably near the lift base (go around the back - not through the village). I've stayed there a bunch of times and had good experiences. One nice thing is they have a full-service front desk: A lot of the condo properties just email you the door key code and you're on your own after that.