I got my first telescope when I was 5. Ever since then I've been fascinated with the stars and later on astronomy.

I've recently bought a new heavy duty telescope and found a local club that I'm going to join which I'm well pleased about it.

(I see that in the UK the Jodrell Bank facility is in danger of being shut down, which would be a great shame).

Anyone else into it here?

Howdy spaceboy! wave.gif Astronomy rocks! Where I am in Nagano is nice and high and when the skies are clear, there's some great viewing to be had. Pity I have no 'scope. If I bought the one I want my girlfriend would kill me then break up with me. Its on the list of things I will buy if I get rich!

Me too. It wasn't much cop but I thought I was really into it. Used to love watching that program The Sky at Night as well.

Jodrell Bank to close down? Not that I know much about it other than as a tourist, it sounds like that would be a real shame.

One of the clearest views I've ever had of the night sky was up around 5000m in the Himalaya. Obviously viewing stars is better up higher as you are so much closer to them ;\)

When I was 18 I had a great night in the desert in western India looking at the stars with a babe on my arm \:\) That was probably the most isolated spot I've ever been in my life.

SPACEBOY, I have a telescope with me here. Nowhere near powerful enough but on a clear night I love taking a look up there. Very interested. Wish I could check out a huge facility and see whats going on.

Outback Aus is undeniably the most peaceful place to view stars. When I was visiting an Aboriginal settlement near Uluru, a few of us went hunting and made a camp in the bush. Didn't sleep for pretty much the whole night becuase the heavens were so mad beautiful, I had to look and look, and look some more.

Originally Posted By: HoTRoD
That must be great. Were you on a climbing holiday there GoNative?

I did a month long trek in Nepal, Annupurna Sanctury and circuit and did another month ski mountaineering in the Indian Himalaya out from Manali.