Peak season day rate 2008 at Thredbo is yet to be decided/advertised but the 2 day rate is AU$190, that is approx Y17800 for 2 days, so at least Y8900 for the day based on current exchange rates.

Just AU$2 cheaper for the same at Falls Creek.

And AU$6 more than Thredbo at Perisher.

Anyone see why it starts to look like a very affordable option to come to Japan?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Peak season day rate 2008 at Thredbo is yet to be decided/advertised but the 2 day rate is AU$190, that is approx Y17800 for 2 days, so at least Y8900 for the day based on current exchange rates.

Just AU$2 cheaper for the same at Falls Creek.

And AU$6 more than Thredbo at Perisher.

Anyone see why it starts to look like a very affordable option to come to Japan?

Mama, is the result of the property and mining bubble?

I don't think so... I have not been in the sport for long Trip, maybe one of the diehards can tell you what prices were like 5 years ago. But I would guess that Aussie resorts are small compared to Japan, have to make a lot of thier snow, and have to work hard to keep it ridable - I would guess that adds to the costs. Plus wages aint cheap.

Edit to add: Also supply and demand - there are already LOOONNNGGG queues for the lifts, if they made it cheaper more would come, longer queues...

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I don't think so... I have not been in the sport for long Trip, maybe one of the diehards can tell you what prices were like 5 years ago. But I would guess that Aussie resorts are small compared to Japan, have to make a lot of thier snow, and have to work hard to keep it ridable - I would guess that adds to the costs. Plus wages aint cheap.

Edit to add: Also supply and demand - there are already LOOONNNGGG queues for the lifts, if they made it cheaper more would come, longer queues...

Sure, the costs are high. Any resort in the world usually requires a steady stream of low-cost workers though. How most of the Japanese resorts can meet costs is beyond me.

I think the answer to that last one is that some of them don't meet their costs. But they don't have to, thanks to large infusions of public money (cough, cough, Fujimi Panorama) or because they act as tax writeoffs for their corporate owners.

FWIW, in Hakuba, the big recipient of public money is the ski jump, not the resorts.

47 was operating in the black when it was sold. Or so the papers said.

wow Oz is WAAAAY expensive. Seems to get as good snow as Scotland (which means its shite) but it only costs 24 pound (roughly 4800 yen) for a lift pass to ski Glenshee

with the kiwi dollar where its at treble cone NZ is the most expensive adult day pass on the planet- as t taka says there are some very unhappy campers - mind you a lot of the tradesman working in queenstown / wanaka would make close to that in an hour for perk jobs- its all relative

Originally Posted By: boardbaka
with the kiwi dollar where its at treble cone NZ is the most expensive adult day pass on the planet- as t taka says there are some very unhappy campers - mind you a lot of the tradesman working in queenstown / wanaka would make close to that in an hour for perk jobs- its all relative

I hear the company that bought TC are brutally capitalist and have basically flipped the index finger to the grass roots skier. NZ skiing used to have a honorable lack of pretension. I can't see that being the case any more. Even on a Japanese salary, I can't afford $99 per day to ski but obviously there are plenty who can.
 Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
wow Oz is WAAAAY expensive. Seems to get as good snow as Scotland (which means its shite) but it only costs 24 pound (roughly 4800 yen) for a lift pass to ski Glenshee

TB, are you a Scot?? Does Wales have any resorts?

yeah I'm scottish. Don't think Wales has any ski resorts, maybe dry slope skiing, but that'd be it.

Northern England has 2 I think but again I think mainly they are dry slope and if it snws they pack that slope.

Scotland has 5 Ski "resorts".

yeah I'm scottish. Don't think Wales has any ski resorts, maybe dry slope skiing, but that'd be it.

Northern England has 2 I think but again I think mainly they are dry slope and if it snws they pack that slope.
Scotland has 5 Ski "resorts".

Met a couple of Scots who live in Hakuba who like to get down a mountain..... fast.
Cool, are they ALTing it or are they here purely for the snow? Do you know where in Scotland they are from?

I wish I lived in Hakuba!! \:\(

I think one guy owns a lodge.
  • 1 year later...

A bit of an oldie, but does anyone in Hakuba have any idea whether this Hotel development at Hakuba 47 is proceeding ? Were there plans to open up more of the mountain as well ?