I just heard that 47 has been sold to a US company that has plans for condos and other development type stuff.

Is this the beginning of the end or the start of the beginning for Hakuba?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't CB. I just heard this second hand so don't really have any details. If it is true it will be interesting to see what happens though. These sort of things seem to generate a lot of talk but often the end results are quite different.

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
I just heard that 47 has been sold to a US company that has plans for condos and other development type stuff.

They have only recently purchased the resort and there is no talk of changing the current management or condo's being built yet but you would have to think that an American company will follow an American model. All just rumours. I am sure they will have a plan however I look forward to many peoples doomsday thoughts. Hopefully the proposed lift for Happo from the top of Misorano eventuates and joins up the two resorts.
Is this the beginning of the end or the start of the beginning?
Hakuba has already had it's time as one of the most popular resorts in the world, be it a domestic market. Current figures show that the western market makes up 3% of the total visitors in the Valley.

Hakuba 47 sold to Americans

Feb 08.

A US VC bought Hakuba 47 Ski resort, released on Dec 22, 2007.

Warburg Pincus Japan got the 100% stock holder of Hakuba Forty

Seven Co. on Nov 20. The resort was establised by Chukyo TV Co.

on 1989 Dec, Nagano Winter Olympic Games, and then became an

independent comapany on April 2002.

The capital incresed to 235 million yen from 20 million yen.

The company has had the genenal manager, 5 directors, 11

employees and 6 contractors with newly coming 2 directors.

Sadamitsu Araki, the genreal manager told they would invest

the total of several 1,000 million yen for condos, gondora

facility and so on.

Re.:

I don't CB. I just heard this second hand so don't really have any details. If it is true it will be interesting to see what happens though. These sort of things seem to generate a lot of talk but often the end results are quite different.

true RD - do you have any feedback on what the new management at Higashiyama is doing, if any? (Im assuming you went to Niseko this year again?) I think new management/money into places can be very positive if theyre actually doing something.

I think I may head up to N-land this upcoming NYs and see for myself. Been long enough! Maybe Ill be able to do Yotei and give concrete info on it too whistle.gif

I wish this had happened earlier. I've been in the market for a decent condo at Hakuba for some time but never saw anything I liked. I suppose somewhere near Sun Alpina overlooking the lake would also be nice.

Originally Posted By: TJ OZ

They have only recently purchased the resort and there is no talk of changing the current management or condo's being built yet but you would have to think that an American company will follow an American model. All just rumours. I am sure they will have a plan however I look forward to many peoples doomsday thoughts. Hopefully the proposed lift for Happo from the top of Misorano eventuates and joins up the two resorts.
Is this the beginning of the end or the start of the beginning?
Hakuba has already had it's time as one of the most popular resorts in the world, be it a domestic market. Current figures show that the western market makes up 3% of the total visitors in the Valley.

Usually, implementing an "American model" in Japan puts the fear into everyone. People starting thinking about job cuts, accountability, poison pills..... From what I gather, foreign ownership and western-style management hasn't been plane sailing at Seagaia and numerous golf clubs.

Perhaps, the new owners of 47 plan to look east for their custom, much like Seagaia, which was targeted at Chinese, Taiwanese and Koreans as much as the domestic market.

I am very excited to see what comes of this, it could be great step for our community. Of course there are always downsides, but Nagano has a long way to go and I don't think corporate exploitation will take over Hakuba. The region is far to proud to let that happen.

Originally Posted By: OkemoLoon
I am very excited to see what comes of this, it could be great step for our community. Of course there are always downsides, but Nagano has a long way to go and I don't think corporate exploitation will take over Hakuba. The region is far to proud to let that happen.

I talked about "local pride" on another thread and got slapped down pretty quick. Pride's all very well, but don't be fooled into thinking that exploitation is purely a corporate animal.
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

true RD - do you have any feedback on what the new management at Higashiyama is doing, if any? (Im assuming you went to Niseko this year again?) I think new management/money into places can be very positive if theyre actually doing something.

I think I may head up to N-land this upcoming NYs and see for myself. Been long enough! Maybe Ill be able to do Yotei and give concrete info on it too whistle.gif

lol.gif Maybe we could meet up and do it together. I'll be in Niseko for this NY '08.

In answer to your question though, I only spent a short time at Higashiyama this year but I noticed they've closed one of the gondolas and opened up a bit more terrain for those who like their snow moderately wooded. They've also put signs up explaining that they're doing avie research with the aim of opening more terrain. I'm not sure whether all this is only this year (and therefore related to the new owner) but it seems pretty progressive. On the other hand it looks like bugger all has happened at Hanazono during the years that the Aussies owned it. The park this year (the 10 days I was there anyway) looked to be heaps better than previous years but apart from that it still looks like it did 5 years ago.

I know there has been a lot of back and forth about development and the pros and cons and I can understand both views but as a fly in fly out tourist these days, I have to say that the change in Niseko and the increased off snow services really are great. Decent rentals, information, transport, restraurants, accomodation, ski schools and childminding services and on it goes. Niseko is such a busy and fun town these days it is hard to beleive it is a Japanese resort. It is a world away from the Shiga Kogan type experiences and the comments made in the thread about working at the Japanese ski resort.
 Quote:
I talked about "local pride" on another thread and got slapped down pretty quick. Pride's all very well, but don't be fooled into thinking that exploitation is purely a corporate animal.

The reason you got 'slapped down' as you put it was because you were getting on your (white) horse and blathering on and on about things totally unrelated to what the discussion we were having was about.

Seems to be a real "topic of interest" this for you, doesn't it?
 Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
 Quote:

The reason you got 'slapped down' as you put it was because you were getting on your (white) horse and blathering on and on about things totally unrelated to what the discussion we were having was about.

Seems to be a real "topic of interest" this for you, doesn't it?

Yes, it is. Is there a problem with that?

If you go back to the original post, the writer actually brought the topic up and there were a few references to shady foreigners that I wanted to address. I'm not sure what you mean about "white horse," but I don't think it's out of order to talk abut these issues. I didn't blather on and dropped it quickly while being polite.