Sensational, Contender. Great pics are a combo of skiing talent and eye for composition. Anyone who has lugged a proper camera kit into the BC knows that its a bloody hard job and often thankless.

Your pics truly showcase the Hakuba that most only hear about. All us mortals who only dream of that stuff are thankful for keeping the dream alive. I reckon you have just confirmed my intention to rediscover the BC this year. I might even brush off the old camera.

To those who try to get pics like these from their pocket cameras, understand that its just not possible (though you will end up with more and probably enjoy your skiing more- its a trade off). Contender - for even greater impact, get down to Tokyo, pick up a 300mm f4 (the only long lens I think possible to carry into the BC if you still want to ski hard) and see the difference that extra 100mm can make. The Alps will suddenly look alp-like. If your up to it, go even bigger.

Anyway, thanks again for rekindling my interest.

Thank you!

I have thought about getting a 300/4IS or a 400/5.6, but I don't now. I really dont have any room left in the backpack. Dakine Sequence is simply too small \:\( With 3 lenses, 1 flash, 1 wireless flash trigger. And with all the normal BC stuff the backpack is totally full \:\(

Originally Posted By: Nothing Out Of Bounds
Sensational, Contender. Great pics are a combo of skiing talent and eye for composition. Anyone who has lugged a proper camera kit into the BC knows that its a bloody hard job and often thankless.

Your pics truly showcase the Hakuba that most only hear about. All us mortals who only dream of that stuff are thankful for keeping the dream alive. I reckon you have just confirmed my intention to rediscover the BC this year. I might even brush off the old camera.

To those who try to get pics like these from their pocket cameras, understand that its just not possible (though you will end up with more and probably enjoy your skiing more- its a trade off). Contender - for even greater impact, get down to Tokyo, pick up a 300mm f4 (the only long lens I think possible to carry into the BC if you still want to ski hard) and see the difference that extra 100mm can make. The Alps will suddenly look alp-like. If your up to it, go even bigger.

Anyway, thanks again for rekindling my interest.

yeah, that huge photo block is the only thing to fit in there, no room for anything else inside, but outside you can strap anything on. Got a donkey? strap it on. Freakin straps everywhere.

But I still have to be able to ski \:\) A 300 is a pretty big lens, nothing I would want to have hang loose outside the packpack, in lenscase or not =)

K2 Photoglacier is a better photo backpack but I broke mine \:\(

I have a fairly small Dakine for my camera. Must admit, the days I go out without a camera I always seem to be skiing faster and harder. Love taking the camera up though on those sunny days.

first time to see these pics and damn!, they look like pro pics from a magazine, perhaps the best series of photos to grace this forum and there have been some great photos.

Awesome photos.

hakubaqv9.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nothing Out Of Bounds

Or just get a 2x converter, the F2.8 70-200 Sigma will handle it well. I often use that exact set up (canon 30D) in the snow with pretty decent results and not much more weight.