Question - How to access Off-Piste/BC in Hakuba Happo-One?

Hi to all,

Ive been to the Hakuba Happo-One resort in Nagano quite a few times, however I dont know how to access the off-piste/BC areas. Can anyone help?

This weekend, Im to be bringing some of my friends, and though been skiing/snowboarding for years; it would be their first time in Happo-One... They're asking me how to access the off-piste/BC areas.

From what I understand, go to the top-most peak (the one even past the Virgin Cafe at the top), then hike up a little until the ACT (Avalanche Control Tower) - the opposite side should be BC area. Is this correct?

Hope some can reply by Friday...

Thanks!!!

Welcome ASL

Talk to one of the back country guiding companies here like Evergreen and do some of their tours. This will give you some experience in the area. The back of Happo should not be taken lightly. Take care.

Surely its better to ask for the jumping off places rather than have inexperienced (by that, I mean with the area) charging off into the great white expanse. Just because they don't know the area doesn't mean that they haven't got the skills to cope with it. That said, they should be sensible enough to engage a guide to help them get to know the area before doing it on their own

didn't he just ask where to access it from?

also if you can't ask questions then how do lesser mortals such as myself ever learn the necessary skills to allow us to go BC?

Alright, I am going to try and set this to bed. TB you are right asking questions is a great start. But don't expect people to tell you to go here and drop in here, turn left at the big tree and hike out to here. People with real BC expirence will know what questions to ask. No one is going to give up fav spots to some gaper asking dumb questions.

Not that ASL is a gaper but he is asking the wrong questions in the wrong place.

If you are serious about getting into BC your doing the right thing. Keep your eyes open on the forums. Do your research, knowledge and the proper equipment are 2 of the keys you need to unlock the BC.

Personally TB, I suggest taking a guided BC tour. Find out if BC is really worth it to you. After you earn a few of your turns you will know weather or not it is really for you.

dude, I never asked or have entertained any ideas about going into the BC. This was sparked by someone else asking where the jumping off point is and being shot down with holier than thou declarations.

Obviously people are gonna want to guard their fave spots, but then why not just say nothing instead of coming over all high and mighty? The guy asked a legit question, if you don't wanna answer then don't. But there is no need to be all condescending to guy.

If and when I ever get into the BC it'll be with appropriate people who know their shit, so I can learn it from them.

the thing is TB people want to easy answer given to them here. Nothing off of Happo is under 35 degrees and stuff can cliff out. Being able to read a topo map will give you most of the information you need to sort out where you might be able to go. Without even those basic skills you shouldnt be riding outside the lifts anyways!

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
the thing is TB people want to easy answer given to them here. Nothing off of Happo is under 35 degrees and stuff can cliff out. Being able to read a topo map will give you most of the information you need to sort out where you might be able to go. Without even those basic skills you shouldnt be riding outside the lifts anyways!

Hey, I hear ya with the safety mate. Anyone who wants to be riding off the back should know there way around the map and be prepared for it, I just felt that people could cut the guy some slack, he only asked, for all we know he could've had the maps, was totally prepared and was waiting for locals in the know to point him into the good stuff. Again I can understand not wanting to trumpet the best lines but a little hint to a jumping off point near to the lifts with a side warning that he really needs to be prepared properly before heading off. Just shooting him down doesn't help anyone
 Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
for all we know he could've had the maps, was totally prepared and was waiting for locals in the know to point him into the good stuff.

ALL topo maps have the hiking roots marked on, with a dashed line.

There is a reason why guided companys dont take most first time clients up happo or goryu to do backcountry. There is nothing easy and some routes are dangerous and have waterfalls, slide paths and etc. I for one am not going to tell people on an internet forum how to access anything.

I never said that you should, my point being that why not just not respond? The guy was a newbie on here and IMO opinion didn't deserve the "If you have to ask you're not good enough" routine

Yes , there is a bit of that 'stupid till proven intelligent' culture here on SJ. I got a bit off that myself when I first started asking questions about places.

From what I can work out, hiring a guide only reduces your chances of disaster. How many people have died on guided BC tours?

That said I would never venture BC without one. (just confirming my intelligence)

i met a guy the other day. He was a tourist. Didnt want to show him squat about the mountain we were riding. We went as far as waiting at lifts to let him go ahead.

Next day rode with him as it was a weekday. Turns out he read a map and learned a hell of a lot about the mountain, was a nice guy and he taught me a lot. He figured it out all by himself.

This guy should too.

Originally Posted By: wattiewatson
i met a guy the other day. He was a tourist. Didnt want to show him squat about the mountain we were riding. We went as far as waiting at lifts to let him go ahead.

Next day rode with him as it was a weekday. Turns out he read a map and learned a hell of a lot about the mountain, was a nice guy and he taught me a lot. He figured it out all by himself.

This guy should too.

Does anyone else find this a bit twisted?

nope, not really.

there is a difference between being hostile and generally unfriendly, and wanting to keep things to yourself. why would you tell someone all about your favourite spots?

the original poster asked about BC access, but he didn't outline any of his expereience or knowledge. i think all the hakuba crew's comments have been reasonable in response to this.

if he'd said, hey, i'm a good skiier with xx years of BC experienec and want to access some interesting areas, he would have gotten a better response. maybe he is a very capable backcountry skiier, but from the tone of his post it would seem very irresponsible for the hakuba crew to say "hey, drop in here and you should be right"

They don't have to say ANYTHING though, why be so patronising to someone who was new on the forum and only asked a question. I don't doubt the logic behind their reluctance but that could have been conveyed by their silence, instead they have slapped someone down for no reason. If the guy is set on going BC, then them saying that he isn't good enough and leave it at that isn't gonna deter him.

This is the last I'm gonna say on this, we'll just have to agree to disagree.