This makes you think. Of course these guys know that they risk such nasty accidents and injuries, but still you don´t want this happen to anyone. As skiing is considered the national sport in Austria, you can imagine how shocked people are over here.

Still amazes me that Scott McCartney got out of his bad crash in Kitzbuehel with minor injuries and is already talking of giving his comeback next season.

McCartney crash

wow, he was fitting and shit at the end! He even got hit by his helmet as it came down after him. Still doesn't look as bad as the broken leg one, that still gives me the boak

Originally Posted By: wattiewatson
does anyone know what leg is getting amputated. Both knees looked like they took a pounding.

Matt

Found this update online. Awful news, awful to watch and awful to think about what this guy has ahead of him.

Quote:
OSLO, Norway — Austrian skier Matthias Lanzinger's lower left leg was amputated Tuesday because of complications from two broken bones in a crash at a World Cup race.

Lanzinger broke his shin and fibula Sunday during a super-G. The double fracture severely damaged blood vessels, hampering circulation in the 27-year-old skier's leg.

The Austrian ski federation said the surgery Monday night was only partly successful and left doctors no other option in an effort to avoid further risks.

"The circulation could not be stabilized," said doctor Thomas Hoelzenbein, who was flown in from Austria Monday to lead the operation.

Originally Posted By: schinken
... bad crash in Kitzbuehel...

Kitzbuehel's ended a few careers. Todd Brooker's crash there was one of the most spectacular I've seen.
 Quote:
Austrian skier Matthias Lanzinger's lower leg amputated after crash

OSLO, Norway — Austrian skier Matthias Lanzinger's lower left leg was amputated Tuesday because of complications from two broken bones in a crash at a World Cup race.

Lanzinger broke his shin and fibula Sunday during a super-G. The double fracture severely damaged blood vessels, hampering circulation in the 27-year-old skier's leg.

The Austrian ski federation said the surgery Monday night was only partly successful and left doctors no other option in an effort to avoid further risks.

"The circulation could not be stabilized," said doctor Thomas Hoelzenbein, who was flown in from Austria Monday to lead the operation.

Not sure if there are any german speakers here, but a really unfortunate coincidence is that the surgeon's surname - Hoelzenbein - literally means "Wooden Leg".

I can't take credit for picking this up, I saw it on another forum.....poor guy.

hölzern bein yes!

Ohhh that is a sad coincidence, although if he is an orthopaedic surgeon, it might lead somewhat to a decline in patients volantarily booking thier surgery with you!

Good news. Lanzi is recovering fast and gave a press conference yesterday, followed by a 30min interview for Austrian televison. He seems amazingly well and has a very positive attitude.

Austrian skier Matthias Lanzinger appeared calm and positive at a news conference here Thursday, his first appearance in public after losing his leg following a horror fall at the World Cup in Norway earlier this month.

"I've accepted my destiny and will get through this together with my girlfriend Eva. I'm happy I'm even here at all," the 27-year-old said, appearing in a wheelchair.

From a medical point of view, Lanzinger said he was enjoying the best care available.

"I'm getting an awful lot of medical support. That makes things a lot easier," he said.

Asked about the hours and days following his crash, Lanzinger said "the days and nights in Norway lasted for ever. The intensive care ward was particularly hard. I had a lot of pain and was only semi-conscious," he said.