Does anyone have any recommendations of which part of Tokyo to stay?

My other visits to Tokyo have all been brief as I was always in transient. This time we would like to stay for a few days and look around the place a bit.

Ultimately I would like to avoid the train station mayhem with the little kids as much as possible, and walk to some of the places.

I stayed in Astil Ueno a few weeks ago. I can fully recommend that hotel. It's 2 Minutes slow walk from JR Ueno station. Room rates are low for Tokyo standard. Room size is ok, and the hotel is quite new and spotless clean. Despite the location it's not noisy at all.

Room rates start at 8500 - and that is per room and not (as very common in Japan) per person.

I stayed in the Intercontinental in Sakuragicho, Yokohama on Friday. I was like a fish outa water. Really nice place, thoroughly enjoyed myself. Sorry Mantas, thats of no help to you. You wanna stay away from the trains.......good luck mate! \:D

Mantas, how old are your kids?

We coped really well with the rail system with 4 kids, the youngest 8yrs. No probs! Yep, it was busy at times, but we loved the whole atmosphere. Give it a go! Must admit the girls at our hotel were super helpful about what to do, how much the trip would be, what exit to use etc - we had it all written down before we left the hotel.

Our Hotel - Shiba Park. It was one of only 3 that Qantas Holidays recommend/book - and we were initially not happy on arrival, far to spoilt, we are! We asked about moving to better rooms, at our cost, but it looked like it wasn't going to happen, so we started searching for something better ... the "unnamed hotel in Thursdays spoiler" was the most likley pick. However they came to the party and upgraded us to a couple of suites, MUCH MUCH better!! We were happy with the location, a walk to Tokyo Tower, a stroll to Shiba Park, and easy walk to both the metro and the JR line. Suited us fine.

However when we go back - we will stay where our friends stayed at The Conrad. Really close to the train - like ON it, and they thought it was great.

I can't stress enough how easy the trains are with kids - unless you have a couple of toddlers needing restraints or strollers to manage.

Did you see the amazing race Asia Mama - one of the clues was in Shiba park - also that hotel is well known for being very popular with antipodeans - never seen the rooms - but surprised that you had to negotiate an upgrade !

Thurs- A tripple spoiler! is there no end to your talents?

Mama- The kids are 5 and 8. I'm sure we will cope with the trains and luggage, but I dont think I'll find it an enjoyable experience though.

Tboy,Tubby,Kraut, all helpful, thanks.

We are looking at the Shinagawa Prince in Shinagawa. It has loads of stuff for the kids in the complex (gets me out of going to Tokyo Disney) and the train we need all stop there.

I liked Ueno (2 stops from Tokyo station).

Just near the JR is a huge markets, lots of food stalls, there are really lovely old temples, museum, galleries, and my favourite, the Yamashiroya toy shop, 8 levels of AWESOME toys!

We stayed at the oak hotel, prices from 5500 yen per night. Clean, neat, internet access etc. Bout 10 min walk from the Ueno JR station.

If you go there, I will send you details of the BEST okonomiyake shop in town wave.gif

Just google ueno hotels otherwise.

Have fun, I loved Tokyo! And I miss it....

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Thurs- A tripple spoiler! is there no end to your talents?

Mama- The kids are 5 and 8. I'm sure we will cope with the trains and luggage, but I dont think I'll find it an enjoyable experience though.

Tboy,Tubby,Kraut, all helpful, thanks.

We are looking at the Shinagawa Prince in Shinagawa. It has loads of stuff for the kids in the complex (gets me out of going to Tokyo Disney) and the train we need all stop there.

get to Disneyland ....Dad's had fun on the slopes nnow time for the kids....

Shinagawa Prince is a good hotel and close to the aquarium but that's about it. There is so much more to see and do around Ueno. So staying there you will need to take the train if you want to see something of Tokyo.

Novotel in Ueno is alright. strange looking christmas tree like building south-west from the JR station.

Shinagawa Prince used to do a Nomihodai for 2000 yen on the 14th floor (I think it is). Mantas if you happen to find out if this is still the case, lemme know!! \:D

i agree with Sanno good hotel but not the ideal place to be...you will have to travel by train/taxi to get anywhere.

I would reccommend staying in Shinjuku, lots of first class hotels there.

Re: Disneyland with the kids. My eldest son went on exchange to Japan when he was in yr9, the school group went to Tokyo Disney. It was less than one year since we had been to California Disney as a family.

His summary when he got back was - :Same as California, but the queues were ridiculous! I had to wait an hour or more to get on anything. I think we got 4 or 5 rides each for the entire day:

This summary led us to NOT go to Tokyo Disney, as we would have been frustrated by that. It might have been just that day that he went, we might have got Cali on a quiet day....but worth the heads up Mantas.

Yeah thanks for the input guys.

We've booked in at the Shinagawa for a couple of nights.

Dragging little kids all over Tokyo just to see the things that mum and dad want to see doesn't sound like a lot of fun (to me or them). They will get to experience some other Japanese stuff during our stay so not too worried about Tokyo.

>His summary when he got back was - :Same as California, but the queues were ridiculous! I had to wait an hour or more to get on anything. I think we got 4 or 5 rides each for the entire day:<

Yep. Don't need that. a roller coaster is a roller coaster to a 5 year old, no matter where it is. I think my kids generation are a bit removed from the whole disney thing. I would doubt that they even know who Donald Duck is.

Ohhh don't get me wrong here Mantas - Cali Disney was well enjoyed by my boys - all from the gamer/anime/now generation...the older kids at the time almost 12 and 10 were allowed to roam free by themselves with 2 hourly check in's at specified places - they loved that freedom. The little ones hung with us.

They enjoyed it so much we promised to do a repeat in 5 yrs - when the older ones were men, and the little ones were the same ages as the older kids - that is in 2 yrs - but I think we might go to Vail in January 09, so we might dovetail Florida Disney World with that...

I wouldn't gloss over Disney because it is outdated - the kids still love it...I just wanted you to get the heads up that the queues in my limited experience appear to be longer there than other Disney locations. Although I hear nothing is as sad as Paris Disney!

Mama,

you neglected to mention that the kids (or at least one of them) is a student of Japanese. That might be important.

We (4 oldies 55-60 yr olds) had a night at Ryokan Taito. It is in Asakusa and not a huge distance from some nice tourist spots. Google the name should get you a website and contact details. Cost us $30 Oz (about at 100yen to the dollar) Traditional (old wooden structure0 ryokan that would never be able to be rebuilt given the new earthquake structure laws for Tokyo. It was lovely, "rustic" is a word that springs readily to mind.

Originally Posted By: JA
Mama,
you neglected to mention that the kids (or at least one of them) is a student of Japanese. That might be important.

In what way JA? Of course I think it is important - for him ... just not sure I get your meaning.... We went to Disney in California - not Japan.

His Japanese skills did come in handy catching the JR train at the one place where none of the price boards had any English.

Sorry, Mama, I got confussed. Thought you was talking about staying in Tokyo. (I was actually a couple of posts behind ... Story of my life, ATM)