Thanks FT. Line probing was not too bad actually. The killer was the simulation in an actual steepish gully. It took the wind out of me hiking up and down the slope following the flux lines. Was dead after that.

It was a good course, highly recommended to all who have not taken it and go OOB. Was jealous the whole day looking at those tracks on the north face of Happo though...

Thanks for sharing photos with those of us who didn't bring cameras! There are some great pics. Had a great time with everyone and look forward to getting out in the B/C again soon. I'm wade...tall guy from Oregon with the black jacket and the board I had to strap on horizontally instead of vertically like every other B/C traveller (got my own pack last week so that should take care of that problem). I'm in the Yokusuka area (Kanagawa Pref) somewhat close to OkemoLoon. Feel free to PM me if you need someone to head out with or if you just feel sorry for someone who doesn't know Japan real well yet and don't mind a tag-a-long. I'm actually heading to Hakuba again on Sunday for the day if anyone is going to be around.

Hey Wade, nice to see you online.

Yes, that slope search was a killer. laugh.gif

I think the rest of the group was smiling seeing us go through the pains and thinking they were glad they were part of the previous simulation. It was a very good learning experience though.

Sorry Serreche, we were laughing at you guys. Dave basicly layed down and said, "watch this" Your scenario was far more difficult than ours. It was a great tool though. I don't want to be involved in multipule burrials on a steep slope, that stuff extremely difficult.

ahahaha, I knew it. He kept on whaling about his broken leg too! mad.gif

I would like to propose a challenge between Evergreen staff and students for the ARAC when we take it. I have a few devilish ideas... eheh. Then we will also be able to see those guys sweat it out while we watch as well ! grin.gif The losers buy beer at the end of the day.

To be fair to Dave though, he broke trail the whole day.

By the end of the day everybody was tired. We were all huffing and puffing when we hiked that last slope up from the 1st simulation. I thought we were done when we reached the ridge. Little did I know about this upcoming 2nd simulation...

I overlayed a Japanese 1/25000 GSI topo map with a 50m DEM (digital elevation model) using a software called Kashmir3D and pretty much did a screen print saved as JPG then did the airbrush for our route in photoshop. You can buy the GSI maps and the DEM in some book shops such as Kinokuniya. The software is for free over the net.

I actually discovered Kashmir3D and its capabilities thanks to Tsondaboy a while ago. He also helped me to give me some tips how to use it. There is a whole thread dedicated to it in the BC section of SJ if you are interested. It is really cool stuff.

I was trying to circle some areas and enter some text to describe where we saw the Kamoshikas, dug the pits, did the simulations using photoshop but it was a nightmare. It creates layer over layer and it is really hard to manipulate. I would have thought it would have been much easier than that, could not even find circling tools in Pshop... oh welll. Still better than nothing. smile.gif

Awesome pics and topo map SerreChe! Thanks for sharing. Your pics are much better than anything I would have been able to take with my camera phone.