• SnowJapan Moderator

A new feature, "Working in Shiga Kogen", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-working-in-shiga-kogen.html

We spoke with Eunice Ng about her experiences working in Shiga Kogen (Nagano) this winter...

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-working-in-shiga-kogen.html

Discuss it here...

yeah, i've always wondered why the nightlife/ski village idea never picked up in the ski resorts in japan. i worked in squaw valley, lake tahoe (california) for a few seasons, and it was so much fun. everyone was in their 20s and 30s, huge nightlife every night of the week, people from all over the world coming for the season to make money... good times.

Originally Posted By: snotrag
yeah, i've always wondered why the nightlife/ski village idea never picked up in the ski resorts in japan. i worked in squaw valley, lake tahoe (california) for a few seasons, and it was so much fun. everyone was in their 20s and 30s, huge nightlife every night of the week, people from all over the world coming for the season to make money... good times.

really?? I always thought the pay sucked, but the fact that you got a free lift ticket was what sealed the deal

well, there's a few ways to make/save money working at a ski resort. one is to get a job that tips well, like waiting tables or bartending where the custom in the states is to tip 20% on meals or a dollar extra for every drink you get at the bar. (on a slow night, i'd make $60 in tips, on a busy night, i'd make $200 in tips, on top of minimum wage.) the other is to work overtime, as many international staff did. they were able to save up and buy houses in brazil or travel indefinitely. and then there's all the free drinks, food and discounts you get cuz you always have a friend who works at this restaurant, or that bar. it's an easy lifestyle that can easily suck you in. most people were living in the moment (not saving), so their money went towards partying or buying gear. oh yeah, and the free season's pass was also an incentive.

ha ha. yeah, we tend to overtip in the states. when i used to wait tables, we knew to only expect 10% from european and asian customers, but 20% from american customers.

Mate, in the UK its unusual to get a tip as a bar man. Working as a waiter/ waitress, sure you'll get some, but don't expect it to be a lot. I had some mates who worked waiting tables at Carnoustie Golf Course during the Open. They made a fortune in tips but ONLY from American tourists

SK is a famous place and they do really good deals for the hordes of school trips etc. I wish my school would have taken me to a place like Shiga Kogen on a trip thats for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, cool to see that people are actually reading my report and that the effort wasn't wasted!!

Yes the Storm Troopers stuck to the Ichinose area as it is a beginners area. Its only annoying when you get a whole line of them going down a narrow bit. I only managed to ski over the back of one of their skis once, haha.

As with the lack of nightlife... the Japanese are very well equip with their own beers and snacks, so they just drink with friends in the hotel room.

And as to why our boss hired us foreigners - I'm sure it was for his entertainment! (and to practice his English)