Last night Shaun White came down and skated at the Loaf Lounge skate park in Kutchan. Quite a big event for our little town! Anyway he and his friends were awesome and seemed to have a great time. I chatted to one of the guys in his entourage and he said the powder here in Hokkaido was the driest he's ever been in.

All up a great night had in sleepy little Kutchan!

I spoke to some Belgium pro riders in Niseko a few seasons back and they said the same thing. That Niseko has the driest, lightest powder they'd ever experienced. These blokes had riden all over the world too, even in obscure places such as Iran, India, Chile and Argentina so I guess they know what they're talking about.

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
Ooooh, lets hope Shaun doesn't fold under the pressure and become a another Hosoi or Gator.

BTW, since when did he start riding powder, i thought he was a pipe jock

Shaun's a good clean-living guy who's got his ego in check!
 Originally Posted By: tripitaka
Ooooh, lets hope Shaun doesn't fold under the pressure and become a another Hosoi or Gator.

Didn't he just get busted for trashing a hotel room drunk?
 Originally Posted By: OkemoLoon
 Originally Posted By: tripitaka

Didn't he just get busted for trashing a hotel room drunk?

Yeah, but that was for the sponsors. They don't want him to come across as being soft! The Canadian ice hockey team pulled the same stunt after losing at the Nagano Olympics. The Fijian rugby team also did some interior decorating at the Nikko in Osaka.
 Originally Posted By: thursday.
was he on vacation or was it a sponsored thing for Niseko?

Certainly not something to specifically sponsor Niseko (very few people even know he's here). He also went to Furano and Asahidake over the last week. Part of the entourage is a couple of guys filming all he does so I assume something will come out in the future with footage of his travels here.