The later half of March will start seeing slightly above freezing temps at the base of the mountain during the day but up high it will still remain below freezing. If you get a no wind, cloudless day with the temp a few degrees above zero then you could easily ski without a big down jacket though.

Al, I don't have a down jacket, I have a boarding jacket and I was wearing only a t-shirt and long-sleeved t-shirt double layer underneath and I was fine, this was at Myoko. Maybe cos its further north it could be different. Also I guess it depends on where you plan on going, if you are out the back somewhere then layer up would be advisable, but I was all in resort, so I knew if it was cold I could get back to the hotel and put on extra layers

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Al, I don't have a down jacket, I have a boarding jacket and I was wearing only a t-shirt and long-sleeved t-shirt double layer underneath and I was fine, this was at Myoko. Maybe cos its further north it could be different. Also I guess it depends on where you plan on going, if you are out the back somewhere then layer up would be advisable, but I was all in resort, so I knew if it was cold I could get back to the hotel and put on extra layers

So maybe just regular layering and a hip flask?

Al,

bit off-topic but do you recommend any forums for scottish (/UK) snowboarding? i'm getting into it over here and want to keep going when i get back to scotland some time this year.

have a good time in japan. the snow (and food etc etc) is amazing here!

I dunno about any forums Donnie, maybe you could try the Uk Ski club website. The thing about snowboarding back home is that its very erratic, the weather varies sooo much. Also, after starting and experiencing the conditions here, you're just gonna be so pissed off with Scottish conditions!! lol.gif

Originally Posted By: thursday.
tell you what you can't get in Niseko ...yet...

Warning, spoiler!
haggis. (haven't been using spoilers of late, pleas excuse the indulgence)

you can get it in a bar in Yokohama....I haven't tried it out here mind you

I dunno about any forums Donnie, maybe you could try the Uk Ski club website. The thing about snowboarding back home is that its very erratic, the weather varies sooo much. Also, after starting and experiencing the conditions here, you're just gonna be so pissed off with Scottish conditions!! lol.gif

Aye you're probably right! I used to ski maybe twice a year in my teens (over 10 years ago) and the conditions were crap compared to what I saw at Nozawa. I remember school trips to Cairngorm having to go to the Lecht cos there was sod all snow and on one trip there was no snow anywhere so we had to go to some rank amusement centre in Aviemore instead \:\(

Thats a pretty good site MikePow! I normally just chance my luck.

Donnie, there are a few snowflex dry slopes dotted about - my local is in Garthdee Aberdeen, and there is Xscape in Glasgow (indoor snow hill) - f'in tiny but probably better than nothing (i havnt tried it). So you can keep up your habits even without the crappy scottish snow.

I doubt youll find a better site than this though. Tubby Beaver sent me a pic of the Devils Elbow at glenshee about 20mins after the snow fell. Now that is service!!

haha, only the ones that tip Thurs!!

The Xscape place in Weegieville is pretty expensive, think its like 20-25 quid for only 2 hours, don't think that includes rental.

Yeah my bro was in the car at that moment waiting in a traffic jam on the Devils elbow and he sent me the pic.

Ill be wearing the birthday tartan, its a take on the birthday suit with a crazy scotish twist!

Most of my attire is based around the Black Watch as my Ancient Hunting Fraser (my actual tartan) kilt is far too small for me, id look like a french-man if i wore that, and frankly, that is the last thing i want.

I found a pretty sick puffer J in aberdeen's finest granite reef dot com, its a ride one for like £160, i think thats 467,000,000,000 yen or something. How do japanish prices compair to that, i mean whats the price for a high end jacket? I have so much stuff to take i might be as well to just buy one when i get there...

The Xscape place in Weegieville is pretty expensive, think its like 20-25 quid for only 2 hours, don't think that includes rental.

I think its only on fridays that they bring out the kickers and rails and that, and its even more expensive, and 'HOACHIN' as one might say if one wasnt so frightfully posh.
 Originally Posted By: al from scotland

I think its only on fridays that they bring out the kickers and rails and that, and its even more expensive, and 'HOACHIN' as one might say if one wasnt so frightfully posh.

which none of the 2 of us are!!! lol.gif

I think thats about the same price as you'd pay in Ochanomizu in Tokyo, I could be wrong because I only had a passing glance at the jackets. I would be very surprised if its more expensive over here