Since this morning, the battery on my Dell icon has been flashing green/orange. Take the plug out and it just dies - not a drip of juice in there. I just did a search and it seems that it is a common problem just outside warranty time (13 months in my case). Just phoned them up, was on hold 1 hour, to be told that batteries aren't covered in the 3 years support deal I took out. (Of course!)

So I'm a bit fed up. Anyone else experienced the same kind of thing? Seems quite common.

It's time for that talk again. Buying a notebook, what good reliable alternatives to Dell are there?

Just got a Toshiba Satellite, but it's still too new to say. I will say that Windows Vista sucks though...

I think every laptop will end up with potential battery issues since the cells all probably come from one of two or three low-bidder contractors.

I've had my Dell Latitude notebook for 7 years and never had a problem with it! It still gets used 10x more than my desktop. That little sucker has basically been going for 8 hours a day for 7 years.