FEATURE - Interview with Andrew Lea (creator of SnowJapan)

Great stuff.

Some really interesting points in there

Quote:
In my experience resorts are at least initially quite wary of actively promoting themselves to the foreign skier and snowboarder. This is either due to a lack of confidence (they just don't know how to go about it) or because of some problems that they might have encountered in the past.

Able to elaborate on any of those 'problems'?

I'd like to hear more about the "politics" as well ;\)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked long so left it until this evening. What a really great read that was and quite revealing. Thank you for sharing and kudos for the great work you have done. I would quite confidently say that this site has played a big part in the big picture of increase in interest. Good stuff.

Quote:
We increasingly hear stories of people who have made real friends from the forums and the site and it’s really great to hear stories like that. If we can provide the platform for so many people to meet, discuss things and make friends, that is a good thing.

Wonder when the first SJ wedding will take place!

• SnowJapan Admin

No. \:\)

Thanks for all the feedback (here and by mail). We're open to the idea of doing something like this again in the future answering more questions.

Finally sat down and read it - very interesting it was a Brit who set it up - I always thought it was a Canadian or an American.

\:D

Top read - if possible, could you interview some famous folks - maybe some pro skiiers/boarders? some resorts?

• SnowJapan Admin

SJ#1 is the one with most of the contacts at resorts, so I'm not really involved in that. But I do know that it is unfortunately not easy to get something that could be a "Feature" without it coming across as simply a promotion. There are lots of 'off-record' comments and info, but we can't really publish those!

I have met SJ1 a few times but wasn't aware of all that non-SnowJapan side of what he does. Must be a busy guy. It's interesting that they don't have to feel the pressure because of that.

• SnowJapan Admin

Sorry perhaps my comment was misunderstood.

What I meant was - resorts often don't want to say anything other than 'the official line', so interview like that would be dry and not include much of interest, it would just be what they want people to hear. "No comments" on the questions we might really want to ask.

Does that make sense?

We would like to do such things, but I think we'd have to find someone willing to talk!!